By spekledworf - 05/08/2014 23:46 - United States - Plymouth

Today, as I wandered through the streets of an unfamiliar city, I spotted a cop and darted across the street to ask for assistance. He kindly gave me directions as he wrote me out a citation for jaywalking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 137
You deserved it 10 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Jay walking is miss understood alot, its only illegal if you interfere with traffic (i.e jump out in front of traffic to cross the road). Just take it to court if the fines amount is even worth your time.

Where I live jay-walking is often a necessity because there are crosswalks that simply don't work, or they're so far apart you could walk almost half a mile just to cross a street and then have to double back the exact opposite direction to get where you need to go. I've never heard of somebody actually getting written up for that... Yeesh! You should definitely be careful, but as long as the cars are stopped or the road is basically empty, it's not really that big of a deal. Sorry, OP.

Yeah, where I'm from too, drivers are very conscientious of pedestrians because people always jaywalk, (usually in the same places with no crosswalks, lol!)

Wow what an asshole cop, but whatever He has a ticket quota so he gotta do it

I've never understood jaywalking (we don't have it in the UK, with the exception of large motorways where you are not allowed to cross them), is it basically that you are only allowed to cross the road at certain points?

It makes sense for cities and areas with lots of traffic. Basically you can only cross at an intersection where there is a crosswalk with a pedestrian light to tell you when it's safe to cross. In suburban areas or places with lots of foot traffic and fewer cars it really isn't enforced. If there are crosswalks on every block people really should use them.

So, if you were in a cul-de-sac and you wanted to go to the house directly across the road from yours, would it be jaywalking to cross straight over?

No, that's not jaywalking. There really aren't crosswalks in neighborhoods like that, so it's not illegal to just cross the street. It only applies to main roads where there are crosswalks.

It is completely ridiculous that crossing the road is a crime in America. What does it accomplish? Anybody with two brain cells to rub together is well capable of crossing a road safely.

Everybody and their grandmother get a driver's license here. My grandma got hers renewed and then WILLINGLY decided not to drive anymore because she can barely see anymore. You really wanna cross the road in a place where people like that still get to drive?

Yes, I do. You know why? I don't cross the road until it's safe to do so. It really isn't hard.

You underestimate bad drivers' capabilities to cause destruction. I would rather be safe than sorry in this case.

You underestimate my ability to make sure there's no vehicles coming before attempting to cross a road.

World_Burner 13

#100, you SEVERELY overestimate the intelligence of the rest of Americans..

HeadlessSparrow 20

I know of someone that jaywalked, and went inside a place to get food. The cops were waiting outside for him, and wrote him a ticket that ended up being more than $100

I heard in Australia, if you get done for jaywalking, they can give you a demerit point against your driver's license. I think that's taking it too far

should have used a sidewalk. Some would say that it's your fault for jaywalking literally right in front of a cop.