By Sestricken - 11/08/2015 12:22 - United States - New Kensington

Today, after dating the love of my life for a year, my parents refuse to give their blessing for us to be engaged, because he's two years younger than me and "people change as they age." FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 670
You deserved it 4 390

Top comments

You have been dating for a year. Maybe wait a bit longer?

I mean, it's only been a single year. They are probably wise to advise you to take the time to really consider your future with him. Wait a little longer and make sure you really know he's the one for you.

Comments

Screw their blessing! Just go ahead and marry him. So far, from reading other FMLs, I've learned that parents can be dicks, so don't listen to them

There's more FMLs about partners being dicks than about parents being dicks.

Moonditch_fml 19

Depending on how old you are, they might have a point. One changes a lot even in early adulthood. While I'm sure it's extremely frustrating, as long as you two are together, what's the rush?

corky1992 33

If mine or my boyfriends parents didn't give us their blessing it wouldn't stop us from getting married. Don't let it stop you.

A year seems so short fo me to say things like "getting engaged" and "the love of my life" but hey, I'm not you. I still think you should definitely wait a bit longer, a year relationship is still in the early "blessed" period, and life decisions shouldn't be taken in that period in my opinion.

I've been with my Husband 3 1/2 years now, we started talking about marriage 3 months into our relationship we finally got married in May. Sometimes when you know you know.

Debbie Downer here to say that I also "knew" after one date...with the depressed alcoholic who put the nail into the coffin of our slowly, torturously dying 7-year relationship by stealing my car. Also the last guy I dated was, I thought, just going to be a casual bit of low-stakes fun, but he "knew" well enough to propose. In public. After I told him how much I hate the institution of marriage as well as public proposals. Hence all my comments advocating for OP taking things much more slowly.

19 and OP said that neither of them could afford a wedding, well duh you're both in college and even after graduation your finances aren't terribly stable. I don't know anyone who's working in their field. I mean they could go to city hall and elope.

1dvs_bstd 41

Your happiness shouldn't depend on your parents' acceptance. Life's too short for that shit. It can be by reason or force. They can get on board or back off. Easy.

I feel like men don't change that much, they grow more and more into their habits and character as they age. I think your parents are worried about you, just take your time until you're sure you want to spend the rest of your life with the same partner. When I remember the guys I was dat

I was dating when I was 18 or even 20 I really wonder what I was thinking and thank god I didn't get married to any of them

1dvs_bstd 41

There's a difference between being worried about something and demanding to have your way.

BS. Age is a number. My husband is 3yrs younger than me, and no one would know it. Something has your parents underwear in a twist. Ask them what the real problem is. Either way, it's your decision.

AkBunny907 18

Age is not just a number I'm sorry to disagree, but it is important. Especially if it were a case like a 16year old dating a 23year old, or something disturbing like that.

My Aunt is married to a man 20yrs older than her. They've been together for 30yrs. They have 4 children and 18 grandchildren. My Aunt and Uncle are awesome!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

OP, if it's the piece of paper you want, I know that the DMV in my state will issue a marriage license for free. It sounds like you want the full-on hoopla of the wedding, though, which there's nothing wrong with that, it's just...not something that needs to be done on a specific timeline. That said, I really can't help but echo the other commenters who are advising you to exercise caution and wait longer. Longer than a year. I met my first ex when I was your boyfriend's age (my ex was 19 as well), and the droll, intelligent scholarship student I knew them developed into a depressive, jobless, alcoholic dropout a mere half a decade later. Not to say that your boyfriend will wind up on a downward trajectory, but one's early twenties are a time of huge change and figuring out who one is and what one wants, and even if your boyfriend doesn't turn out to be a total loser like mine did, he (and you) may still find yourselves changing in ways that aren't compatible long-term. If that turns out to be the case, let me say from personal experience that it is much easier to go through a breakup than a divorce!

This may be the cynic in me talking, but especially since you're still in college and don't have a job yet, it may be best to wait. I would ensure my own financial security before considering a full-time commitment to someone else who has a responsibility to bring in a paycheck as well. It will be better for the both of you. And hey, if something bad happens down the road (not saying it will, but it could), then you won't be royally ******. :)

When I was 22 and my ex was 21, we got engaged after a short time. I felt he was the love of my life and perfect for me. 8 months later, I was in a wheelchair and he hit the road. Give it time.

You don't need marriage to prove that you're in love! After turning 18 (4 years into our relationship) my boyfriend and I gotten a shared bank account, to get used to each others spending habits, you may be very surprised by what your SO spends things on. Taken for granted my bf and I are long distance, 6-7 hours apart by plane. There's a level of uncertainty that you might not find your dream/well paying job right out of college. As I'm 21 and graduating soon as well. Weddings are only as expensive as you want them to be. I have a cousin who wanted a simple beach wedding, rented out 2 beach cabins for our families to share, and we all helped prepare food and made a wedding cake. I have a friend who married on a golf course then had their reception at a restaurant. Her husband is 10-12 hours away by plane and she's still living with her parents. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage since our 'honey moon phase' which I would say, be our first 2 years of dating. Its been 7 years now and we love each other even more than we did for those first couple of years. We're still long distance, as out of state tuition is a real killer, but do live together in person during the summers, and sometimes in the winters.

I have been dating my boyfriend for 5 years and I'm only 19. This is crazy!!! You may think you know someone well but you both are going to change a lot. Your parents are only doing what is best for you. I would wait at least another year or two before even getting engaged.

Agreed with #32. People who marry before graduating (if they're both attending a four-year college) almost always seem to be rushing it. Why the hurry? If you're that close, waiting another few years won't change anything. I'm pretty damn liberal on social and cultural issues, but I agree with OP's parents on this.

In my opinion, if you're not yet able to financially support yourself, you should wait before taking on more responsibility. And if he is 19, if he ends up going to college or university, the primary financial weight will be on you and that can be hard. If you love each other the only difference in getting married at this moment would be a piece of paper and too much debt!

usnwife 18

After dating a year I got engaged when I was 18. Married a year later, after he graduated boot camp. My parents were unhappy and didnt give their blessing. We basically said we respect their opinion but this is right for us and we are doing it with or without you - and they very quickly jumped on board. They still werent thrilled, but accepted it. 7 years later we have been through 2 deployments, 4 kids, all kinds of ups and downs, and we are still as in love and dedicated as we were then. Its not about age, it's about maturity and doing what is right for you. We rushed our wedding a bit with military influence, but not without a lot of serious conversations. I know it's not the norm, but it's been perfect for us.

hey op, I got married at 20 and my husband was 23. We'd been dating for 2 years and my parents didn't like him at all. He was from the wrong side of the tracks and they refused to give their blessing. They were intractable. They had nothing to do with me at all until I became pregnant with their first grandchild (3 years into our marriage). It's been 7 years since we got married and 9 years since we started dating. I'm proof that it can work out. Our story isn't all doom and gloom but it's full of rocks, bumps, derailment, and issues. Communicate, be honest, tell the truth, and be yourself. Don't try to be something you think that your significant other wants. If they want you they need to know the real you. Your parents want what's best for you but what they think is best for you may not be what you want. That is the first thing about becoming an adult is. Your parents realizing that they aren't in control of your life anymore. They can suggest things but you can choose to do it or not. Best of luck. If you want to talk go ahead and message me.

He's 19 and in college. There's a 97.3% chance he will **** some other girl before the wedding.

I got married at twenty, and I have immeasurably changed in the four years since. I changed for better, but I know there are plenty of people who could have changed for the worst.

I'm in the same kind of position, OP. I'm crazy for my boyfriend. The connection we had even before we met is incredible, and I do wish to spend my life with him. We're in each other's life plans already. We got together when I was still in high school and we've been together twice as long as you too. But I think waiting is a good idea too. A year isn't long to know someone. Same with two. A year into dating my boyfriend and I still was learning about him. Now, (basically) two years later, and I'm still learning. If you've been living together it's a bit different, but still.. Good luck :)

#73 where did you even get that statistic? Don't judge her partner without knowing the whole situation. not every man has to cheat on their girlfriend in college.

Nothing wrong with a long (2-5 years) engagement. Short engagements are for people over 28.

#73, that is ridiculously uncalled for. You know nothing about my life, my boyfriend, or our morals, and yet have the audacity to slander him like that. I don't know what you think gives you the right to judge someone you know nothing of.

Just a note, that's life lol we can judge everyone without knowing them much I mean we all have at a point in our life's judged someone without knowing them to well

I know my story won't mean much next to everyone else's. My husband and I met in college and dated for almost 2 years before getting married. He joined the army and wanted me to come with him since he didn't want a long distance relationship. I agreed with him but no one in my family was very supportive or happy about it. His family was okay with it but somewhat hesitant about the entire thing. We married at a friends house by a judge (family friend) and went from there. It'll be 6 years in a month and a half. I will say, people do change throughout their live, especially when you're in your early 20s. You're trying to figure yourself out, socially, financially, and mentally capable for life's challenges. I know I've been changing quickly then who I was before and he has made slower change. It's been hard/interesting dealing with all the changes and figuring yourself out. It's if the two of you can come out on top still holding hands that'll make you two strong and having a ******* solid foundation for your relationship that'll give you years together.

Wow, I feel the need to say something positive among all the hate. I got engaged at 21 (he was 22), married 1.5 years later after finishing our last semesters if college, working part time then getting full time positions. Yeah it has been hard at times and yes we have changed. I am no longer a spoiled entitled brat and that is because of his influences and the responsibility of supporting us both when he was unemployed after we relocated for my job. You guys decide your futures, if you want to be together you will work it out and grow, everyone has to point out the divorce rates for under 30 marriages but in my area marriage is common in the early 20s and divorce is NONEXISTENT. Best of luck in your future OP. To everyone else sorry your experiences did not end well but do not drag down others who you know nothing about.

CaroAurelia 12

I don't necessarily think that's too young, because that's how old my parents were when they got married and forty years later they're still together. But it probably is worth it to wait. But maybe just explain to them that you don't plan on marrying straight away. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, though.

1dvs_bstd 41

wow are these comments or textbooks?

OP, I have been looking at FML for about 2-3 years now but never was interested in commenting or joining discussions until your post. So yes, I created an account to say to everyone that is being cynical that when it comes to relationships you can never know what will happen for sure. Just because you've had bad experiences with relationships doesn't mean the OP will too. I know people that have been together for over 5 years but don't show love, care, attention and appreciation as couples who have been together for a year. 6 months after dating my then boyfriend, he proposed to me, and I did say yes because he makes me feel special and treats me like a princess. We've been together for over a year and a half now, and will be married in 7 months. So we would've been together for a bit over 2 years before marrying. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out a person within a year, you can meet their family, friends and through that can discover about them. Sure people can lie about who they are, but that doesn't include 100% of them. So instead of being negative & saying 'it won't work out', instead I say to you OP 'If you both know you truly love each other and are committed it will work out. All the best to you both.'

Hes been an adult for a year. You've been an adult for 3. Sorry, I'm with your parents. You should BOTH finish college before you get married.

I still get nightmares where I married the bloke I was with when I was 21 instead of coming to my senses (much later than my family would've liked). But at 21 I was incredibly insecure, thinking all I needed in a relationship was someone who made me feel wanted, many 21 year olds aren't that immature. Having said that, it's only with the benefit of hindsight that I realise this. Maybe if you normally see eye-to-eye with your family they're worth listening to.

That's a lot of ifs, this economy still sucks and I don't know anyone who is working in their field. I wound up with $60K in loans and don't work in my degree. I would love to marry my bf and have kids and move on, but it's not a reality for most millennials. You can certainly be engaged, but I doubt you'd be able to have the wedding you're imagining in a year. Definitely wait until you've both graduated.

Are you kidding OP? I mean only being together a year is one thing, but people definitely DO change at that age. We do a huge amount of growing up between the ages of 18 and 25. You're still figuring out your ambitions.

bigdfootball97 24

I'm going to college in Pennsylvania too! ?

When you post something like this on the internet - you are opening yourself up to comments like this. I'm not saying what they said was right, but you are the one that gave them that right by posting something personal on an anonymous forum. If you don't want mean spirited comments, then don't post about things you don't want those type of comments about.

I'd say wait until you're both graduated and over drinking age. College and legal access to never ending booze can both change people. Plus, this gives you more time to focus on a wedding/honeymoon, without having school get in the way, and by that time I doubt your parents will protest. This will hopefully also give one or both of you time to get a steady job, which will make starting a married life easier.

Wiringify 22

Am I the only one wondering how is it possible for OP's comment to be downvoted?

My parents met in may '88, engaged September '88 and married December of '88... they're still happily married, a hell of a lot of ups and downs, they were the exact same ages as you and your partner. However, I still think it's fair to wait a little bit, I mean if you want to spend forever with him what difference does a couple years before the big wedding make??

iShanny 13

127, I was just coming to comment that I've never seen a follow up get buried by downvotes. People clearly feel strongly about this.

My boyfriend and I did long distance for most of our three year relationship and we've just moved in together at 20. Despite hating the distance, we waited until I finished my degree and paid off my car. Did it suck to spend another year apart? You bet. Does it feel damn good to have it sorted? Hell yeah! It's so important that you set yourself up as an individual before tying yourself to anyone else. I was so tempted to move when all I had to my name was a half-finished course. But because we waited, I moved with a degree, a car, and five grand in savings. I'm sure you love this guy. And nobody's saying that you need to break up with him, or that your relationship isn't valid. But no matter how responsible you are, if you're in no position to pay for a wedding any time soon, I don't see why you're rushing to get engaged so quickly.

I was going to say fyl but now it's ydi. Even when you're done college, he's still in it. Wait until you both have pay checks. If you know he's the one you're going to marry, why do you need a marriage to validate your love? Dating should be no different than marriage, that's what true love is.

Hey I'm 21 and married to a 22 yr old. Marriage at this age is hard. But it's hard at every age. If you do end up getting married, I would very strongly recommend extensive premarital counseling. It really gave my husband and I some great tools to use in marriage. The counselor also got us to think about to very important things and answer important questions before the wedding. However, we did this with our parents full support. We got their support by being very mature about the situation and planning. So what I'm saying is, marriage at a young age can be good, if you go in with wide open eyes knowing that times will get hard. However if your parents are that strongly against your wedding, take their concerns seriously. Talk to them, try to get them to give you specifics as to why they think you aren't ready. Then work on those things. Even if they still won't give you their blessing, it'll make you a better more mature person

Pharmkitty 11

It's kind of a red flag when you can't go through with plans you wanted to make because you had thought someone else (aka parents) were going to foot the bill. You're still young. If you want to get engaged, that's your right as adults. However, I know I thought I was with the guy I'd end up with at that age and we dated for 4 years. In that time he became so disrespectful towards me and belittled me, even though I was paying for almost everything we did at the end of it. I met someone a few years later in pharmacy school that I have such a fulfilling and more mature relationship with now that I'm a few years older. If you're going to be together forever, a couple more years of waiting is just a drop in the bucket. Wait until you have better finances and can have the sort of wedding (and honeymoon, yay!) you want.

ladyg228 15

I have to agree with your parents! You two are barely adults yourself age wise and your definitely not an adult financially. Why rush into something both of you are not ready for? Finish school and continue dating a few more years before you bring up marriage again. You and him will continue to change for the next 5-10 years and if your still together after that and feel marriage is the right path then good for you and you know you have built a solid foundation for your future. Finally dating for only a year, I wouldn't advise anyone to think about marriage when you barely know each other.

64, I just got married to my husband. We've been together for six years, but I haven't graduated yet. I won't graduate until December. I think that as long as you are financially stable enough to make it work, then why not?

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, you've only been together for a year..... That's really not that long considering you want to spend the rest of your life with this guy. You don't even have jobs yet

94 and 109, I'm glad everything worked out for both of you, but a lot of times, things just don't work. And I'm certainly not trying to be negative...there's at least a 50/50 chance that OP and her boyfriend will make it, 'til death they do part! I can't speak for all the cautionary takes commenters, but I know all I'm trying to say by giving my "negative" example is that there's nothing to lose by waiting, but OP could lose a lot if she rushes into marriage before she and her boyfriend figure out who they are and how they are as a couple living together. Could it work if they defy OP's parents and get married in a year? Sure, possibly. Is there any reason, in light of possible strained relations with said parents and society's relaxed restrictions on unmarried cohabitation, for OP to work herself into a frenzy in order to get married in a year? Hell no!

My husband and I dated for 5 years because we met really young (16) and I have learned more about him, myself and us in 2 years of marriage then I every did dating. Dating just didn't seem real, we never fought, never disagreed but marriage really showed us the truth behind one another and it was hard for a bit but we are better people for it. I don't think dating for more years guarantees yours success, yes it gives you time to learn and work out issues but there will be situations you only experience once married and you have to ride the waves and be committed to one another.

Hey Op, I would like to inform you that yes you are thrilled to get married and live life to the fullest but there is a big issue. . . Your boyfriend is 19. although you are happy and well spirited about this he has not fully experienced life. Yes, when you are young you are all lovey dovey about this whole thing but WAIT he may grow out of it or possibly even yourself love is a serious thing to fully comprehend and yes. . . College you in college already? And he's just starting? You may be old news when he learns of not just one fish in the sea.

OP, it's all well and good if you want to get married but you cannot expect your parents to foot the bill for your wedding. If you want to make the adult decision to get married you need to be an adult and finance the wedding. If your parents want to contribute then that's great but you should not expect them to fund your wedding. I also just want to note that you might not be as adult as you claim to be. This is not due to your age! You're annoyed at your parents because they don't approve of an engagement after a year of dating but at the same you don't want to go against their wishes because you may need their financial help later? I also feel concerned for you. You say that you will be getting a job to support you and your partner. Maybe it was an accidental bad choice of words but if it wasn't I want to point out that you should both be contributing to household finances. You can't expect to shoulder the full responsibility of the household finances and then use your parents as a back up. By getting married you are starting your own family. You are responsible for your own finances. Your parents are not obliged to help out you and your future husband out. If they want to that's great but you can't use them as a financial backup.

FarmerGirl420 11

Hey OP. I got with my husband when I was 18 and he was 22. I would have married him after the first month. We actually got married a few months ago and I'm 22 now. Don't let people talk down to you. Every relationship is different. It could work out or it may not, but that's up to yall. Disregard all of the negative comments. My husband and I dealt with the same. My mom even threatened to cut me off financially and I let her. I'd rather be happy and in love than under her control, but that was 4 years ago. We also have a very beautiful baby boy now.

I don't really see how marriage has to be the test of being able to ride the waves out, 162. My ex of the really rotten relationship that dragged on way past its expiration date and I got to know each other when my mother really went off the deep end and temporarily moved in with us before I could get her put in a mental hospital. We didn't need to be married to find out that we deal with stress in different ways, me by getting angry and snapping, and him by doing almost literally nothing. And it's lucky we weren't married for that, because I had enough legal and financial hassles to face when I finally dropped him a year and a half later. There's nothing inherent to marriage that shows you what a person's character is like. Life has a way of ******* with you whether you've got the paperwork or not, and I generally think it's best to wait until you've figured out how you respond to one of those curve balls to make things legally binding.

I feel really conflicted about this: there are loads of people who know they've met 'the one' after a short period of dating, get married and live happily ever after but there are also loads who bitterly regret their marriage. Nobody can predict which way this relationship will turn out. My advice (which I'm sure you're desperate to hear!) is wait a while. Live together, share your finances etc for a few years then if you are still eager you can marry and you will have your parents blessing as you will be in a stable long term relationship. I know it's hard to see now because you are caught up in the passion and romance of a new relationship but a year is Hardly any time to get to properly properly know someone. Living with him for a few years will help you get to know them properly. someone can be a perfect gentleman when you're dating only to be a loud, messy, financially irresponsible, booger-flicking beer-guzzling nightmare when they're in their home. The fact of the matter is that people DO change considerably in their twenties: people who hated kids can suddenly want them, they can stop caring for shared interests etc. this is the great thing about being in your twenties - you're just learning who you are. if you press on with this wedding you could find yourself married to the love of your life, or to a guy you just tolerate or to a guy you hate. None of this will be news to you I hope but I just wanted to spell it out for you. Hopefully you make the decision that's right for you.

I also have a follow up comment to my one previous. You literally lose nothing by waiting. It does not hurt you in a single way. There is no logical reason to rush. You both are still in college, and I doubt you both have jobs, so tax benefits aren't exactly a compelling reason. If anything, it could hurt his financial aid if you get a job while he's in college, and it's counted as part of his income. Getting married, particularly at this point, has no real benefits, but can cause a lot of harm. You should also both try having a job and sharing an expense account once you both have real expenses. If one or both of you live in a dorm and have a meal plan, you are not getting a realistic idea of each other's financial responsibility once you need to pay for a home and food, and can no longer count on those to be provided year long by the school, even after a month or two of poor spending. Fiances are one of the biggest reasons for divorce, and honestly, you don't sound at all prepared for that. You say you both planned out your finances. What finances? You don't have a job yet, and with this economy, there's a good chance you won't get one for several years, and he's counting on this future job you very well might not get to fund him. Apparently part of your planning was to have your parents pay for the wedding, which is your responsibility, and now that fell through, because apparently you never actually talked to them about this before including their wallet into your "planning." Instead, you decided to count on them to help financially support not only jobless you, but also your jobless boyfriend. I know a few people have offered examples of how marrying young worked out for them. Notice, in most of these examples one of the partners was going into the military, aka, had a stable career with considerable spousal benefits. All you two gain benefit wise is each other's student loans. Your situation is nothing like their's. You two are not responsible. Responsible people don't count on money and jobs they have guarantee of getting while expecting mom and pop to foot the difference. They don't rush into a wedding that can cause more harm than good for nothing other than feel good titles when waiting will be far more financially beneficial. Your poor planning and inflated views of how responsible you two are show more than anything that getting married at where you two are in life is a terrible idea.

I think that, when it comes to marriage, it all depends on the people involved. What works for one person may or may not work for another. Some people choose to not get married ever because that's what suits them. Other people get married for the exact same reason. Personally, I think OP and her boyfriend should press forward with the wedding, if that's what suits them. It may work, or it may not. Either way, they're the ones who will bear the consequences. I think that OP should evaluate WHY she wishes to get married so young, and then make the decision that is best for her and her boyfriend, not anybody else.

Xquisite1 28

I got married at age 19. I am now 34 and STILL married. I never needed anyone then and we are successful and sure as Hell don't need anyone now! I heard all of the warnings & statistics from people but we beat the odds and are still very much in love. Some people meet the RIGHT one sooner than most others do in life. It is possible, that's what happend to me and I don't regret my decision one bit. Best of luck OP. Some people think they need to **** a million people first before settling down. Not all of us do in this world.

Hey OP, I have been with my fiance for 4 years. I am 21 and he is 20. From the start his mom has hated me and has refused any type of commitment that we have made to each other. We got engaged a year after being together (we were high school sweethearts). I am on my last year of college and he has one year left after this. I am someone who knows from experience that parents can suck when it comes to things like this. My fiance and I made the decision ourselves to wait until we graduated since we both wanted steady jobs and a way to pay for our wedding. I know that my fiance and I are going to be together until death, but I also know that i don't need a marriage license to tell me that. I'm not trying to bash on you at all OP. I've been in this boat. I know how much this sucks. I'm also saying that when it comes to marriage, it's literally just a paper and fancy rings. You love him, you don't need something to tell you that you do. Good luck with your family OP. :)

CaitiieBuggs 23

My husband and I got married when we were 19 and 20, on our 4 year anniversary. Both of our moms were completely against it, but both of our dads supported us. I was in college and he worked. We paid for everything ourselves, and did everything ourselves. The closer the date got the more open our moms became to our marriage. They saw how mature and dedicated we were to one another. We've been married a few years, and we're happy we had the ability to build our lives together from scratch. Not everyone wants that, but we like that. We are completely different people from when we started our relationship, but we've not only learned to grow as individuals, but to grow together as well.

You are to young. I dont care about any philosophical words and rants being said. you are still both in a period where you are not done growing up mentally. Sure everyone thinks and says "yeah but Im different". But no, you are not. I used to feel the same way. I was with my ex from my 16th to 20th, almost 4 years. And as much as I didnt want to believe it, I also changed a lot and wasnt mature enough. Even though I really wanted to be and believed so. And besides my own experiences, it is just basic psychology that will tell you that the odds of this lasting forever are not that great yet. For instance look up Eriksons stages of psychosocial development. You are barely out of the role forming, identity finding stage and have only just started to experience and experiment with the feeling and need for intimacy. Inbefore: yes of course, it is possible that you'll be together forever. But if thats what you believe, just like I did with my ex and now with my current boyfriend, why rush into marriage immediately? Be rational and wait a couple of years. My personal waiting period is 4 - 5 years and I even feel that is kind of short, at least in my culture. Im also around one year together with my boyfriend and I feel madly in love. But this will fade and when it fades you'll see if your relationship is good and strong enough and if you truly love and tolerate eachother.

Having plans is all good and well, but things don't always work out like you plan. Your plan should be to get engaged and married once you are both working and supporting yourselves. And while it's traditional for the bride's family to pay most of the wedding expenses, that's not expected any longer, so you should also be saving to pay for your wedding on your own. Then if your family helps, you have more savings for a big honeymoon, rainy day, even a future college fund for your own kids.

Hey OP, just thought I'd throw my two cents in here. My ex and I got together at 15 and were talking about marriage not even a year later. Sure, we were planning on waiting until after we both graduated. But we were 100% sure we would always love each other, we were such a great team. 5 years later we broke up because the feelings had faded away as we changed growing up. Still, I can only repeat what most replies before me stated: People change. A lot. Especially in their twenties. Yes there are exceptions, there are perfect matches that met early on. But they are the minority. Their stories are wonderful and what we long to experience ourselves, but they are the minority. And that's okay. What's not okay is rushing things while still young and realizing years later that you made a huge mistake and wasted what could have been a time of your life for finding yourself. Do yourselves the favor and give yourselves and each other the time (and space) to grow as people and to grow into the people you want to be. You don't have to be married to be happy together. You can still get married later, but it's not so easy to break things off once married if it doesn't work out. If you two are meant to be together, you will stick together even though you're "just" a couple. After all, neither your parents nor the entire FML-community can tell you what to do, you two are grown-ups. May I add though that you feeling the need to vent about your parent's opinion on FML, as well as you two dating for just a year and being 21 and 19, does make you sound a little more immature about the matter than you might feel you are? What's so special about being married that you can't wait a few more years? The only thing it gives you besides the official paper that you two are now a family, it's only a legal contract. Tax advantages, custody, inheritance, the right to information in case of an accident,.. How much of this do you need at your age? What else would marriage give you that a loving relationship does not?

my best friends got married at 19&21 they were still I'm school. he worked at McDonald's. it can be done. best of luck and I shall pray :)

extraballbing 4

OP, I know it sucks... but if you need your parents' financial support, you may be too young to be getting married. Marriage involves making really tough financial choices with someone who will drive you nuts after a while. You need to be able to weather those storms and manage a household. Waiting a little longer (you have lots of time) will not harm you in the long run. But when you marry too young, you wind up having to get a divorce when you're supposed to be having fun, and dealing with wayyyy too much debt. That was my experience, anyhow... Still, I do hope it works out for you in the end.

full of rocks, bumps, issues, and derailment....... ugh, yeah, sounds like you settled. You're advice should not be taken

#210, given that we went through 3 deployments in less than 5 years, a sever back injury requiring surgery(that happened to take 4 doctors before my injury was found and diagnosed the first 3 said it was in my head), ptsd, polynomial cyst removal(him), me having a stalker who required us to move multiple times, and a couple other issues that come up during the course of life I fail to see your point of how we're not settled and stronger for it. The stalker derailed us because of the cost of moving so many times is what I meant. The rest are some heavy bumps that you run into during the course of your life ours just happened to be clustered in 6 years.

I've been married twice, and engaged four times. Neither of my wives and I married with less than a two-year engagement. Not only will time help clarify the person you're going to become, so does spending time and living with them. If you love one another and want to start building the future you plan, work on moving in together. Marry when you (or your family) is ready.

This is the very first FML I've seen where the OP's response has been hidden O_0

I'm thinking you can't even thumb an OP's comment up or down for it to get buried O.o