By Axelerate - 04/12/2014 11:09 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, after a few weeks of my dad setting up glue traps in the garage to trap mice, I found out what it's like to have a pigeon wander in and get its foot stuck on one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 246
You deserved it 3 576

Axelerate tells us more.

Hey all. I'll fill you in so you guys can sleep peacefully at night. My brother came home from lunch and was in a rush to head out back. His remote for the garage door wasn't working so he left it open. That's when the pigeon walked in. He called me to let me know and to close the door. I stepped out and I heard what sounded like a bird flapping like crazy. I checked around and I saw the bird's foot stuck on the trap. I had no idea these traps were set (they were under the space of the shelves we have all around) but I fit the pieces together seeing how we had mice problems a while back. I put on some gardening gloves to hold it while soaking the foot with warm water. He moved a little bit more to the point his bottom half body THEN got stuck. I ended up calling the vet and explaining the situation to them to see what they could do or anything else I could do. After the awkward silence, they told me I could bring it in for them to sedate and see what they could do themselves. If nothing worked then they would have to euthanize it. Feeling bad for the little guy I was getting ready to drive there when I remembered we had Goo Gone. I poured a lot on the trap and he managed to get off! He just walked out the garage door and I assume he flew away. I didn't follow it but haven't seen handicapped bird around here haha. Birds like to bathe and it's been cloudy and rainy here in Vegas so I'm hoping he managed to rinse everything off. :)

Top comments

Awh, poor pigeon :( I hope you set it free!

Also I'm 100% against these glue traps now that I know about them. I so little one time said to myself "poor mice" when I saw the mouse traps they had before using these glue traps and they ended up raising their voice and lecturing me as if I'm throwing the traps away or something. I think I've read it's illegal to trap a mouse or rodent and setting it free outside. Not sure but I'll definitely read up on better methods.

Comments

If you help it make sure to use gloves. Just in case of diseases

On the bright side, if it can catch a bird, it can catch a mose

I misread that as moose for a moment. That'd be one hell of an infestation.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Steve_Dudley_UK 10

so you had 3 legged races with a pigeon?

Poor pigeon! :( Was it hurt? I hope you let it go!

On the bright side, if it can catch a bird, a can catch a mouse.

derpina72 23

My dad set up glue traps too, once. They caught one and my brother's gf at the time freaked out and called PETA, I think it was. I felt so bad. :( my dad said the trap was poisoned and would kill the little mouse, but it looked more like it was slowly starving to death. :'(

thats what happens. they canr move so they either starve and die or chew off their own legs to get away.

They should never be used, they are so inhumane. They suffer, use humane traps.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

People are against snap traps because they're so sudden and look horrible, but I would rather snap the poor thing's neck/spine than have it stuck to a glue trap slowly dying and suffering. :(

I checked my glue traps daily then put them in a bag and smashed them against the ground. Much cleaner than snap traps, sometimes those make them explode. All in all, nobody should care how they go. They sick at life and make everyone else's lives suck.

juturnaamo 29

If the problem is mice, not rats, no kill traps are very effective. I caught about 6 mice in no kills that my landlord couldn't catch with snap traps it glue traps. I only caught one rat though :p the other rats must have learned.

"than have it stuck to a glue trap slowly dying and suffering. :(" And screaming at the top of its lungs. Was visiting a friend at her work long ago when a mouse barely bigger than my thumb got caught in the glue trap. Quickly found out that size means all of jack shit when it comes to screeching in terror.

**** pigeons! Those asshole birds made a nest right on the outside of my house right up against my room. That wouldn't be a problem but they wouldn't shut up....every single night for weeks, being the weeks that led up to and during my midterms. Too bad it's a $1,000 fine to kill one in Cali.

You sir, sound like a terrible ******* person.

How am I a terrible person? They made my life difficult and have never helped me with anything. Also, the chicken wire to keep them out of that area up under the roof wasn't free. Are you gonna pay for that or are the pigeons?

tazmanmike2013 17

I agree with you, you are not a "terrible person" like the other post said. People want to be all high and mighty about animals when they're a nuisance to others but I don't see too many people people who live with houses full of mice and rats, or let birds nest in their rafters and attics. We have a pigeon problem where I live, they crap all over my cars, house, patio, and roof. Since I live in a subdivision I can't shoot them with a BB gun like I'd like to, so we just deal with them. The only option we have would be to cut all our trees down and that isn't going to happen.

I'd recommend chicken wire up underneath the roof where they make their nests. It worked well so they just shit everywhere now. Just find a way to secure it that doesn't go against any rules you might have and try to hide it if you have to. Good luck with getting rid of those flying rats!

killing a defenseless animal. That's pathetic. It's similar to swimming in the ocean while bleeding (a shark might eat you), running around in the safari with raw meat to your beck (lions) or something like that. or even, a man raping/"kid napping" a woman.

If you mean using the chicken wire to kill the *******, it's not for that. You wait for the pigeons to leave the nest then remove it (or chuck it?) and put the chicken wire up to block them from getting back in the area.

Ear plugs cost like 50p. They multiply because humans are so filthy they've got unlimited food. Most cities would be a unbelievable mess in a week without all the "vermin".

painlessmind 11

You must be the "cat lady" with 19 cats in your house