By monkey2069 - 13/05/2014 13:58 - United States - Elgin

Today, a lady handed me a $10 tip on a $45 bill. I was happy with it, since it was more than 20%, until she came back in and said, "I'm sorry I gave you the wrong amount." I handed it back to her and then she gave me a dollar. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 751
You deserved it 4 888

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Here's a dollar. Go buy yourself something fancy.

Attacksloth 33

I definitely wouldn't feel bad about chewing her out, although you probably need the job. Sorry OP. I know from experience that the food service industry sucks.

Comments

f_ourlives2013 7

yeah. absolutely no one understands tip percentages. ... or that servers make $0 /hour. YOUR TIPS ARE OUR ANNUAL INCOME, PEOPLE. don't be too lazy to cook yourself and your family dinner if you can't afford to pay the convenience fee for someone else to pick up your slack. bastards.

I believe the law is 1/2 of minimum wage, which was $7.25 when I used to wait tables, so I was making $3.62/hr. Although, as a former server who worked their way up to manager, it irks that servers feel entitled. You are entitled to minimum wage, and that's it. Servers are made aware of this at time of hire. Accepting the job means you agree to the terms and conditions of said job. Is that lady a bitch for doing that, yes, but it is your job to win over the customer to make them want to give you more money. If you fail (regardless if they went in with the mindset of tipping poorly/not at all or you gave them poor service so they decided to not give you a good tip) it's on you. If you want to make a steady income that's above minimum wage, ask to be moved to the back of house in a restaurant, which is where there are more job openings in the industry anyways. They always need dishwashers, cooks, prep cooks, sous chefs, line cooks, etc. Switch to BOH, or find another job if you can't handle the fact your customers leave tips based on their generosity or how strong they are pressured by societal stigmas against those who do not leave tips.

I really don't understand why there is such a need to tip, I'd rather pay more for my meal but know that my waitress actually makes a decent wage. I will only tip a waitress if she's amazing, or if it's more convenient that me waiting to get my change back.

RedPillSucks 31

Tips are needed because restaurants don't want to pay minimum wage for the wait-staff. They use tips as an incentive for the staff to provide excellent service. Unfortunately, if people choose not to tip, then the staff gets screwed. The restaurant owners don't lose money on the deal.

I do get that in a way, I guess it forces teenage waitresses to actually put an effort in their jobs as well. However being a teenager myself I provide good customer service because I know that it's my only way of income, what other reason would I need.

It's not just teenagers. Sometimes it's people with families or people who have to pay their way through college/university who serve at these restaurants. Try for a minute to imagine yourself as a single mum who gets paid BELOW minimum wage (remember you also have to tip the busboys for helping you provide good service REGARDLESS of whether or not YOU get a tip).What do you end up taking home after work? Enough to feed your family for a few days?

You must work at Cracker Barrel. That happens a LOT there

katina1236 20

I tip depending on the service I receive. I'll tip regardless if it was a good experience then ill tip well if it was bad ill tip but not nearly as much. Last week my family and I went out for dinner, I have a severe allergy to pineapple, and ordered a drink that didn't seem to have pineapple in it, but I asked anyway. The service I got was supreme they triple checked the recipe and the manager of the restaurant assured me it was fine, so on a $83 bill I tipped $30 because the service I received was fantastic.

Its not that big of a deal. I was just surprise. oh well she was nice. Hopefully they cone back again. No matter what being a server, yiu get good and bad tips. Its thevnature of the job. Either way I still love serving. I still make over $20 bucks an hour no matter what.

fballdt16 9

The customer is NEVER right!

Heathtastic 10

Never hand it back. Rookie mistake

All of you need to know your facts before commenting. First, in California, minimum wage is currently $8 dollars minimum wage, plus tips. In Texas, it's $2.13 an hour plus tips. I have server experience in both states, and most states are similar to or in between those two numbers. Second, it is legally required by the FEDERAL government to bring up that employee to at least FEDERAL minimum wage ($7.25/h) for hours worked if the employee did not make as much as they would have had they been on that hourly wage. Third, I make an average of $2,500 a month as a server in Texas (though, I do thank the restaurant I work at as it is a one-of-a-kind HUGE tourist spot), so I think ONE guest that tipped him $1 isn't going to ruin his life. You can all stop talking out of your asses like serving is the lowest "that's what I did part-time in college" type job, because the best servers at the best restaurants make some serious cash. I know some that make upwards of $60,000 per year.