By justwantingtohelp - 16/08/2013 05:02 - United States - Highland

Today, a child was choking in the store I work at. He was alone in the aisle, so I started the Heimlich without his parents' permission. After dislodging what was caught, his mother turned the corner and went screaming to my manager for touching her kid. I got a write up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 610
You deserved it 3 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

redwolf56 2

Parents have no common sense these days

Hey OP. At least you saved a life. Many people would have just walked by

Comments

"How dare you be such a bastard? Why would you help my child out in distress and when he's about to die?" ^ That, my friends, is the logic of a horrible parent.

gameover18 17

The NEW AMERICAN DREAM. Don't work hard. lawsuit everyone. Sorry to hear about write up OP

angelofmusic113 9

You should have asked the lady "Um, where were you when your son was choking to death?" Sheesh.... To think her son would probably be dead if it wasn't for you and that's how she repays you. People are stupid.

Had a friend actually end up in court because he bruised a kids chest saving him from running into traffic. All people have to do to become parents is ****, there are no prerequisites. At least a plumber has to pass a course.

deathfyre8 13

You molested her child (physical contact of any kind without a parent or guardian's permission) I can see why the mom thought you were raping her child. You're standing behind him/her with your arms wrapped around the child But you still deserve it for not speaking with a parent first.

Let me just say that I can see why turning the corner to see a random person with their arms wrapped around her child would alarm her. And maybe she's not irresponsible - maybe her kid wandered off and she was looking for him. But when someone is choking, you don't wander around the store for 10 minutes looking for their parents to ask if it's okay to save their kid's life. Any good parent would be pissed that you wasted so much time. Obviously, this woman is not that type of parent ... Nevertheless, OP does not deserve to be yelled at and written up for saving a child's life. I honestly do not know where you got that.

You're actually meant to get them to cough first, to see if they can remove it themselves, the perform five back blows (hitting them between the shoulder blades) and then perform the heimlich manouver five times and alternate between that and the five back blows. That's first aid.

A child was choking, and OP probably reacted on instinct. Maybe OP isn't actually trained, and that's why they didn't know the "proper procedure". All that matters is that they saved that child's life, and the mother should have been grateful.

Tell the bitch mom that you saved her kids life and let her know she should be watching her kid and not banging the manager.

__happyhappy__ 3

I'm a lifeguard certified in CPR and first aid, and if there is an emergency where there is a child but no parent to consent for them, we have implied consent, meaning that consent is inferred from the person's actions (i.e. choking victim) rather than verbally. Therefore, you had implied consent and definitely should not have gotten written up for that

martin8337 35

It just doesn't pay to be a good samaritan these days.