The gift that keeps on giving

By Katie - 29/08/2021 14:01 - United Kingdom

Today, I broke up with my boyfriend, since we weren't getting along. When I got home, I remembered that today is his birthday. Him and all our friends now think I'm a total bitch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 292
You deserved it 1 659

Same thing different taste

Top comments

well maybe this is one of the reasons why you didn't get along because you didn't think about him

Aw, don't worry. It's not just your ex-boyfriend and friends who think you're a total bitch -- the world agrees. Couldn't you stick it out for a few days to dump him after his birthday?

Comments

Aw, don't worry. It's not just your ex-boyfriend and friends who think you're a total bitch -- the world agrees. Couldn't you stick it out for a few days to dump him after his birthday?

well maybe this is one of the reasons why you didn't get along because you didn't think about him

LiquIDMeow 6

I made an account just so I can ask - couldn’t you wait until after his birthday?

I always wonder if it's worse or better to wait after a 'holiday' to break up so that you're not doing right near that day. Like... do you wait a day, a week? Two weeks? So that there isn't that sting of being dumped on a birthday, christmas, etc.

I was broken up with the day after my birthday (though on my birthday, he sent me a “we need to talk tomorrow” text, so I kinda knew it was coming). Did not make it any better.

Ya know...I've never understood this whole don't break up with them on specific days thing. If it's time to break up, it's time to break up. Why should any day be different than any other day? People put too much value in that stuff. If you associate pain with a particular day, that's on you. Heal yourself and move on. It's like people that have trust issue because they've been burned in the past. It doesn't matter if you've been burned a hundred times in the past, you still treat everyone like they are entirely different fr everyone else.

that's a very selfish was to look at things "it's time when it's time" is a horrible excuse please dont actually use it with someone. if you're breaking up with someone it means that you've put some thought into what you're going to do. that means it's only "time" because you decided it was time. the reason people wait is out of respect to the person they are going to hurt. just because a day isn't important to YOU doesn't mean it's not important. so to avoid excess misery we wait a while that way the person in question and their friends/family don't have the occasion ruined in addition to a break up. hope that clears things up

No, it's time when it is time. There is an OBJECTIVE time to end a relationship. It isn't subjective. Prolonging it to avoid giving someone else a perceived extra level of pain is what is selfish. The only reason you care is because you don't want to be perceived as bad because of the subjective value they hold in that day. I don't know about you, but I do the vast majority of things I do in my life for objective, reasoned, and healthy reasons. My feelings don't enter into it, and neither do anybody else's. You do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

I would rather someone break up with me (on any day) than a week after my birthday have them dump me and be like, "Yeah I didn't want to do it on your birthday." Now I know any words of affection etc in the past week were a lie. That's WORSE to me.

MechanicalKid1 5

Just the fact that you didn't remember it was his birthday is a bag sign.

I was with you in the first half, with him on the second. You forgot his freaking B'Day and broke up with him on the day, you're a bitch. In your defense, he might be an ass too I wouldn't know..

MechanicalKid1 5

uhhhh because you are... how do you forget that?!