Spirit world

By Anonymous - 21/01/2017 10:00

Today, I got another in a year-long string of threatening letters about my late mother's credit card bill. I've called the credit company repeatedly to settle the account, but they won't talk to me because I'm not authorized to access it. Hope they have a Ouija board. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 986
You deserved it 490

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Won't a death certificate help in this case? Either way, I'm sorry for the trouble they're giving you about it.

If they don't want to help you, then don't pay the bill. Ignore them.

Comments

Uggh I'm going through this right now. In my state, I had to file to be an administrator of the estate (cant be an executor without a will) and I had to fax the form stating I was the administrator along with a death certificate for them to acknowledge I existed. Best of luck!

gobiteme2 34

Cease the misery from this company. 1) don’t open letter and 2) write deceased on envelope and drop back into mail. Added bonus is that they will have to pay the return postage and you will not have to talk to anyone.

I don't know why it took so long for someone to comment this. It's what I did for my grandmother. Took all of 30 seconds of my time for 6 months.

species4872 19

Yup, stupid privacy laws again. You don't have to do a thing. Let them keep wasting money sending letters. Any money owing can only come from the estate if any, they have to claim it from the estate.

I'm Having the same issue with my father's mortgage account....

Talis99 26

As much as I hate to be on the other side of things, it's for protection and legal reasons. This is why people should settle their affairs in advance. Even if she died suddenly. There should be some form of access to a next of kin even if you're 45 and in good health. You never know. In your situation, what about executor of estate and death certificate? If they have your information to send the letters to you, there has to be something on file saying you have anything to do with your mother I would think. Or get a lawyer and a cease and desist. If it's not your bill, you're not responsible for the debt I should imagine and the company may have to take a loss.

Get a lawyer. They should be able to do a settlement. Best of luck

Inform them of change in the billing address.

mariri9206 32

Yeah, tell them to go knocking on heaven's door.

I worked for a collection agency - 1: don't respond or answer the phone, every time you reply or call that is another chance for them to try and collect. Keep all calls polite but brief. The longer you stay on the line the more chance they think they have to talk you into paying them. 2: Tell them that it is your work phone and not to call it again, - they have to take that number off their list. They will ask for a home number - give a fake number. 3: BE POLITE - If you're a jerk your number is never going to come out of their system no matter what you say. 4: Any debt rolls out of the system after 6 - 7 years depending on where you are. 5: never make a "token" or "good faith" payment - it resets the clock and the statute countdown starts all over again. 6: if you decide to pay your debt do it as quickly as possible - the clock to rebuild your credit score does not restart until the last payment has been made. 7: once you have reached the end of the statute of limitations or paid off your debt it takes about a year of good payment histories with your bills (rent, cable, gas) to rebuild your credit score faster if you get a secured credit card. The person on the other end is just some guy who got desperate for a paycheck - he doesn't like what he's doing for a living any more than you do.

why are they sending you threatening letters if you aren't authorised to settle it? ?

growlyboy 2

Same thing here. I got a name and sent a death certificate. U will be fine