Sounds illegal

By Anonymous - 03/10/2019 00:01

Today, I got a lot of tips at work, but little did I know our boss takes it out of our paychecks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 964
You deserved it 129

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TrashlifeKaylala 12
Decipherme 11

I’m certain that’s illegal... check with your labor board.

Comments

Lora Wood 11

In the US I have had a lot of friends waiting table and have never heard of this. the BBB is a voluntary un official rating agency. You need to talk to your state labor board. there are many weird laws around paying waitresses though.

Depends how tips are reported, DoorDash famously got caught keeping all tips by reducing driver pay by the amount tipped. It meant they weren’t technically stealing tips, just paying the drivers less money on those deliveries. It’s super shady but not illegal.

DoctorPALO 14

I used to work in a restaurant, and yes, it sucks. However, the servers I worked with made $3.13 an hour plus tips, that they were supposed to report for tax services. None of them reported their tips correctly. Usually, they made over $600 a week, but most only reported around $200. It sucks both ways, really.

That is not even close to legal. In reality, if you do not make at least minimum wage with tips and your paycheque, employers are required to pay you the difference. IE if making 2.15 an hour and working 40 hours, your pay would be 86 and you would need to make 204 in tips to get minimum wage. If it is less than that the company is required to make up the difference.