Social parasite #7887889098

By Good tenant - 03/05/2019 23:00 - United Kingdom - Consett

Today, my landlord increase my rent because of the "increased value of the flat". Why has the value increased? Because I decorated and replaced the broken fixtures. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 445
You deserved it 171

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"What's that?" "It's a sconce." "A what?" "You know, a light fixture that you put on the wall." "Oh. It makes the place look a lot nicer." "Thanks." "I'll have to increase your rent, though, since these improvements have raised the value of the flat." "You're kidding, right?" "Nope. Gimme money. Now."

depending on the region you live in you can speak to the municipal renatls board and have the rent hike thrown out if you can prove you did the repairs. as well as you are required by law to be given a minimum of 30 days notice of a rent increase

Comments

"What's that?" "It's a sconce." "A what?" "You know, a light fixture that you put on the wall." "Oh. It makes the place look a lot nicer." "Thanks." "I'll have to increase your rent, though, since these improvements have raised the value of the flat." "You're kidding, right?" "Nope. Gimme money. Now."

depending on the region you live in you can speak to the municipal renatls board and have the rent hike thrown out if you can prove you did the repairs. as well as you are required by law to be given a minimum of 30 days notice of a rent increase

uberm0912 4

it probably actually increased because of better market conditions. decorating and replacing fixtures like lights don't actually add value

tounces7 27

Value is determined by the Landlord and whoever is willing to pay it, so yeah, it can "add value" if the Landlord is a ********, which he clearly is. I'd just remove everything that I fixed though.

TxKitten79 10

If you're in a lease, he can't do that. If you're month-month or up for renewal then you're screwed.

ninesouls 6

They would have to come to an agreement and if no agreement is made the landlord can legally give her 30 day notice and vice versa. they can try to raise the rent in a lease but again, both parties have to agree and if the tenant does not there is no legal action the landlord can take until the lease is up.

Rookie move! I never improve a rented space and make sure it smells like my sweat. My rent is rapidly approaching free.

tounces7 27

This does not surprise me in the slightest. That's not a Landlord, that's a Slumlord.

Nhayaa 21

Er I do know now why I enjoy so much reading FMLs. Everyday your stories are a reminder -despite what's happening these past few months- of how happy I am to live in France... I don't pay any bill when I go to the ER, my landlord can't increase my rent or kick me out whenever he wants, I can't be fired from my job for shitty reasons and so on... Thank you FML.

Wadlaen 23

Likewise here in Norway!😄

TxKitten79 10

May I ask how much of your paycheck you lose in tax?

TxKitten79 10

May I ask what percent of tax is taken out of your paychecks?

TxKitten79 10

A landlord CAN'T kick people out here whenever they want, nor can they just raise the rent anytime they want. There are laws to prevent such things. But just like any country, there are unethical people who try to break laws regardless.

darkenedone 27

Have you tried undecorating and breaking the fixtures?

so... you got punished by increasing the value of your flat? yep, that sucks. your landlord is a dick.