Scammed

By FMLdude - 18/08/2013 23:23 - Australia - Bexley

Today, I accidentally hit an elderly man while driving. The police came, and five minutes later I was told that he confessed to walking in the middle of the road to get hit and claim compensation. He was fine, but I still got charged for hitting a pedestrian. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 277
You deserved it 4 979

Same thing different taste

Comments

I would fight it in court and take the police officers statement with you, you can be driving along a road and the guy could of been walking along the footpath and dashed in front of you at the last minute, goodluck OP the old guy, even though he confessed, is still a jerk

hitting a pedestrian without harm is better than manslaughter.

fischerxx 10

Is there damage to your car? Maybe you could sue for vandalism or something.

To everyone commenting that it is the OP's fault regardless because he "Should've seen the old man," that isn't necessarily true. Did anyone stop to think that maybe OP did see him, but just like when a rabbit or dog runs into the road, OP had someone behind him and beside him, and could not safely stop nor swerve? It happens a lot, especially in the country. To the OP: Sorry about the ticket, but just be glad neither you nor the old guy was killed!! I hope your car was damaged as little as the old man was.

What you're saying is you'd rather run over a person than risk a fender bender. Wow.

... And OP crashing into another person, injuring them anyway?

No, 50, I'm saying that in the situation I outlined for you, it could potentially be safer to slow down as best you could but just keep going and hit the person as softly as you could, rather than swerving, hitting the car next to you, which in turn could hit either the car behind them or the old man. In that situation, you have to weigh the odds, either hit the person as softly as you can and hopefully prevent additional casualties, or swerve and cause a major pile up and potentially cause the death of multiple people. I know which I would pick.

Plead not guilty. I know in my state on the old mans part he would have been given a ticket for unlawful use of a highway by a pedestrian.

If he bolted out in the street on his feeble legs to get money and such, you shouldn't be charged. Unless you weren't paying attention anyway? I think he should be charged for fraud or something like that. I don't know.

In all fairness, him walking there on purpose doesn't diminish your obligation to ******* look where you're driving. You deserve it for being reckless.

andruszko 2

To all the ignorants like #48 implying you're a bad driver or weren't paying attention because you hit someone: There's many, many cases where it's impossible to stop for or avoid hitting someone if they walk in front of your car. You're moving a three thousand to five thousand pound pile of steel, with very little control and just massive acceleration propelling it forward. Even with above average brakes, and above average tires (which I doubt you have) so they don't break loose when you suddenly stop...it can take over 15 feet to stop going at 35mph. That's assuming every driver is paying attention to the road and never, ever taking their eyes off it, and never ever talking to another passenger in the car or listening to the radio, AND has absolutely zero reaction time. All of which is basically impossible. Add in .25 seconds for actual reaction time (which is really good) = at least 5 feet, add in the fact that I doubt you spend 300 a piece on top of the line performance tires = 5 feet, add in the fact that you probably don't have high performance brakes = another few feet. Most vehicles on the road take at LEAST 25 feet to come to a stop from 35mph...sometimes up to 45-50 feet. How, pray tell me, can you stop if someone walks into the road just 10-15 feet in front of you? Think before you open your mouth from now on please, #48. Ignorant comments make the human race look stupid.

I suppose you are superman or have similar abilities, like very fast reaction time and even more important x-ray vision so you can see all the people in front of you even when they are obscured by cars or buildings. Maybe also some telepathic abilites so you know if someone wants to cross the street without looking or is suicidal and is actively trying to get hit by a car. Good for you.

Yes actually. This is Ireland. Jaywalking is a sport here. I've yet to hit someone. So it's totally possible to not hit people walking on roads. I'm pretty sure we're talking about urban traffic, so there shouldn't be high speeds involved to begin with.

andruszko 2

You're right Janis, you haven't hit anybody yet so there's no reason anybody else should. The laws of physics must be wrong.

He confessed all charges should be dropped...fight the ticket...

I've seen so many fml's on old people that it needs it's own category on here.

RedPillSucks 31

In some places, the police are legally required to write a ticket whenever an auto accident involving a pedestrian occurs. You can probably deal with this in court so that it doesn't get on your insurance.