Pay up, dude

By Anonymous - 23/11/2020 20:02 - Canada - Barrie

Today, I found out I had gotten a parking ticket while I was travelling a few months back in California. I moved since, so I didn’t know I had it so it increased to 200$ and when I told the guy who was actually driving the car about it, he blocked me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 905
You deserved it 131

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Same thing happened to my brother. Mutual friend got a parking ticket at an out of state university that neither of them went to. He blew it off, it went to collections, messed up his credit and grew to over $200. If he would have just paid it would have been $50, but we didn't think the university could do anything to people who weren't students.

And what about the $5 you owe the Grammar Police for putting the dollar sign after the numerals?

Comments

Same thing happened to my brother. Mutual friend got a parking ticket at an out of state university that neither of them went to. He blew it off, it went to collections, messed up his credit and grew to over $200. If he would have just paid it would have been $50, but we didn't think the university could do anything to people who weren't students.

coius 23

This is where you go to court and make them provide physical evidence or proof the car was officially there. If they don’t show up, you can get a ticket annulled. If they do, they need to provide evidence in photos that you really were there, especially if you aren’t students. I’ve seen a city do this that was so under the red line, they ticketed out of state cars by making up the tickets and sending them to states way away in order to prevent them from showing up to contest it. They then lost in a class action and were fined (and some people who cooked up the scheme jailed) when they couldn’t produce evidence that the cars even visited the area. Council bluffs, IA pulled this via Red Light cameras with me. I proved I was elsewhere with dash cam footage and gps on phone logs and purchase POS receipts that proved I was in Lincoln NE at the time. It turns out the company that ran and installed red light cameras were pulling a scam. I actually counter-sued for $5,500 since they damaged my credit because of it. (They sent to collections immediately before informing me). I live in Nebraska and never go to Iowa except when I worked at Google, 4 years after date of ticket.

And what about the $5 you owe the Grammar Police for putting the dollar sign after the numerals?

I had that happen to me once. I ended up paying $500 because my former roommate parked in a handicapped space and I moved out shortly after and he kept tossing the notices in garbage. I found out when I went to renew my plates. I ended up paying the fine and taking the former friend to small claims court to get my money back.