Navigating discourse

By The tolerant left - 11/10/2022 21:00 - United States

Today, my class had a meeting with a representative of our state, encouraging us to "attempt to politely engage with people who disagree with you." Not even an hour later, I saw an image on social media comparing a prominent political figure to Satan. How the fuck am I supposed to engage with someone like that? FML
I agree, your life sucks 693
You deserved it 166

Same thing different taste

Top comments

'Disagree' means 'I want the nation to run functionally and people to have basic needs met; I just prefer X policy over Y where possible'. You're talking about people who are incompatible with reality. Not the same thing.

With a crucifix and a bottle of holy water repeating the phrase, "The power of Christ compels you." Was it one of those QAnon *****? I've really had to cut back on my shape-shifting ever since those ******* blabbed our secret!

Comments

With a crucifix and a bottle of holy water repeating the phrase, "The power of Christ compels you." Was it one of those QAnon *****? I've really had to cut back on my shape-shifting ever since those ******* blabbed our secret!

'Disagree' means 'I want the nation to run functionally and people to have basic needs met; I just prefer X policy over Y where possible'. You're talking about people who are incompatible with reality. Not the same thing.

One of the biggest lies I was taught is "all opinions should be respected". NO, some opinions are absolute nonsense. I don't mean they are just wrong and can learn from a mistake, I mean they are so far off reality it makes more sense to ignore them as if they do not exist...

Was the representative the prominent political figure? Who is someone?

You know why most websites seem to have a majority liberal bias? Because most liberals have free time to bitch about society from mothers basement. Conservative minded people tend to have jobs supporting the libs. Off to work I go ❄️

Marcella1016 31

How many days, nights, and weeks were those right wing “Freedom Convoy” truckers camped out and blowing their horns 24 hours a day in downtown Ottawa again?

You know who doesn't have a job? Donald Trump Sr. Although granted, he's not so much a conservative as he is a massive delusional dumbass toddler surrounded by sycophants trying to make sure they stay rich and avoid prison.

EVERY republican i know doesn't have a job. Either lives off their wife's job or government programs. Utterly incapable of seeing the irony in their "libs are lazy. Socialism bad" rhetoric

Marcella1016 31

People have asked me in other comments/FMLs why I get so viscerally angry in political disagreements. This is why. You can only see that shit for so long before you snap. I recognize that when I do it, I’m no better than the other side, but I’m sick of taking the high road. I can’t wait till shit evens out again. But between mainstream media and social media, I can’t see these fires dying down. Billionaires profit from stoking the flames. I don’t know what the solution is, and it makes me sad for both our present and our future.

Why do you need to? If you don't know them and don't want to engage them, don't make it so.