National bard

By bad poet - 02/12/2013 01:57 - United States - Millerton

Today, my boyfriend asked me to write him a poem, as I am an avid writer. Happily, I agreed. After hours of working, I proudly presented it to him. He read it, laughed, and said, "No babe, I meant a real poem." Maybe I should rethink my career choice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 745
You deserved it 4 642

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He is so rude. I bet that what you wrote was amazing tho.

JocelynKaulitz 28

Some people just don't understand poems like others do. I bet it's good.

Comments

AnOriginalName 19

The thing about the humanities is that they're entirely subjective. There will be an audience that likes your work, you just have to find that audience.

J_Kertz 14

Poetry isn't dependent on what others think... It's all about YOUR thoughts and emotions. If YOU are proud of it, then who really cares what he thinks? Especially since you spent hours on it...

fluffywaspluka 7

#14 If you want to make a career out of it, then it does matter what others think.

Perhaps you're not as good a writer as you thought you were, and your boyfriend, thinking you could write well, thought that the poorly written poem had to be a joke. Don't take it too harshly; I've known plenty of avid, but horrible writers that have improved after much practice.

cloudydays 10

Art isn't made on a command, write it as you feel it.

Maybe you should rethink your boyfriend choice...

bandit1971 18

As an avid writer and author -- I can't write poetry. I just cannot physically do it. Even if I spend a month trying to write something good, it turns out horrible and gross. What I CAN write is story after story of chilling tales, tragic ends, sappy romance, dark deeds, curious mysteries, and fanciful fables. I'm sorry he told you it was a bad poem, but maybe he was right. Just because you cannot write poetry doesn't mean you cannot write. Many poets don't have what it takes to write a novel. Every author has their own niche. You cannot expect a woodworker to suddenly know how to do metalsmithing can you? Or a sea-captain to know how to fly an airplane? Find your own niche. Just understand that perhaps, poetry is not it.

SavannahSunshine 26

Your boyfriend's kind of a dick....

Maybe he didn't get the point, Maybe he is not good enough. I'm trying to make a ryme, so you don't feel bad. If it makes you happy, keep doing it OP :] You can always write a book or a script for an important movie, cheer up.

IworkAt711 14

Wait, that was supposed to rhyme?

RedPillSucks 31

Perhaps in a different language.

Haikus are simple But sometimes they are random Refrigerator

Rainhawk94 27

Next time the little voice in your head tells you your comment is clever, it's lying to you

Lol don't just throw away your passion for writing cause it may have been a bad poem or he didnt understand it.