Marriage of convenience

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my serious boyfriend was talking about how he wants to get engaged and married. I was really happy, until he said he's excited mainly for the tax benefits. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 999
You deserved it 4 435

Top comments

EVERYONE likes tax benefits, I´m sure he was just joking if he is serious boyfriend

kk_fml 0

i hate when comments get moderated. i get way more annoyed by moderated comments than i do by comments that are obnoxious/offensive/inappropriate (or break some other rule they moderate comments for). Who cares? I think we can handle it. But to the OP... the tax benefits are the the only reason i would get married. you can love each other, live together, make a lifetime commitment, have kids etc. without actually getting married.

Comments

AntiChrist7 0

you choose an ass, you deserve it

ditlihi 0

I'm sure he was joking. Getting married will mean paying more taxes.

amykay 0

hey mine said the same thing, i am just glad he want to at all. his mom has been married 7 times , so he has a warped view of marrage.

That's the best reason to get married! :D

Who cares? It is the best reason to get married! Either get out of the stupid fairy tales you've been living in since you were 5, or be disappointed for the rest of your life

Lighten the **** up. God, this shit annoys me more than anything.

berlioz13151411 0

Well, technically, tex benefits for married couples ARE a huge plus- it's a big part of the reason that homosexuals are trying to get the right to do it. They have, on average, longer-lasting, better-managed relationships than their straight counterparts... but get no tax benefit for it. Which makes sense to a level, but if you think about it, they're obviously doing married life better than a straight couple, without the marriage part. Also, as a guy, I assure you that tax benefits aren't what he was thinking. Just what came to mind. 'cause they're awesome.

chroniclurker 0

I don't think this is terribly serious depending on your situation. If you guys are living together, contemplating living together, and in short living or planning to live as if you were married without the paperwork to prove it, then yeah, tax benefits are the plus here, because he already has the less monetary benefits.

I feel like I might be the "serious boyfriend" in this story...

jmart110 0

at # 41 , I read your comment and just noticed your a man! how many guys nowadays want to get married ? that's awesome I wish there were more guys like you!!! :)