Manchild

By Soontobeedivorced - 13/03/2022 22:00

Today, I confronted my husband about yet again going out “with the boys” and not coming home. I told him that as long as he has that ring on his finger, he’s gonna respect me, the kids, and our home. He responded by taking off his wedding band and throwing it to the ground. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 016
You deserved it 463

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This isn't really how adults are suppose to communicate. I'm curious how you managed to get this far with fundamental communication issues.

How do you know she hadn't already discussed it with him? She said he did it "yet again" so it's entirely possible she made her feelings known and he doesn't care.

Comments

Jon Tessler 14

so you gave him what amounts to an ultimatum, and expected you to bow down to you. guys never react well to ultimatums. you should have had a calm discussion with him and explained why you would like him home.

How do you know she hadn't already discussed it with him? She said he did it "yet again" so it's entirely possible she made her feelings known and he doesn't care.

This isn't really how adults are suppose to communicate. I'm curious how you managed to get this far with fundamental communication issues.

There's no way to know how to react to this without knowing how often he does this. If it's multiple times a week it's very different from a couple of times a year.

mohsinalam88 3

You can't challenge anyone like that and expect a different outcome. Its his home too. Be nice to him and whatever you want, ask for it respectfully, not challenge him.

Correct. Respect is a two way street.

Correct. Respect is a two way street.

You can’t combine oxygen with fuel in an intensely heated environment and expect to get anything less than combustion. What we [FML] don’t know is how often he’s doing this, so it’s hard to judge the severity of his behavior. What we do know, is that one persons feelings aren’t supreme to the others. While you have feelings against him staying the night at his friends, he also has feelings about the situation. Neither one of your feelings are so important that y’all can’t both come to a compromise, rather than “this OR that”. Certainly, one’s feelings aren’t so supreme they can compel another to do anything against their will; that will only build resentment. Resentment turns into a ticking time bomb for the marriage. What else we do know, is that you dragged both of y’all’s children, and both of y’all’s house into your side of the argument; you out numbered him and expected him to submit. Except, y’all’s children and y’all’s house didn’t have a say in this matter. This behavior is toxic. You can talk about his respect for you. That’s it. You can talk about consequences the kids have to his behavior. But you can’t use your kids and your house to levy an argument against him. Or you can, that’s your freedom. You can also get divorced 🤷‍♂️. But if the problem is more so toxic communication, it’ll drag right into the next relationship.

When married your priority must be your spouse. Not your friends. Period.

Then both parties need to get off their ass, talk this shit out, and find a compromise. Or cut your losses and ditch if it gets to the point where ultimatums become more of the norm rather than the exception. No sense carving one's self-worth to shreds when a strategic retreat may be in order.

this is true to an extent but a girl's night out and a guy's night out from time to time is healthy as well and you never own someone so preventing someone from having a circle of friends/support is toxic.

bobsanction 18

Sounds like he found a loophole to the rule.

are you sure it's 'the boys'? maybe, unfortunately, he might be cheating.....

Well if he wants to hand you the scissors then cut his crap ass out of your life.