Management BS

By Anonymous - 14/03/2023 03:00

Today, I was just rejected from a part-time job I applied for to have something to do during my retirement. They required references from at least two former employers. I only have one former employer because I worked for the same damn company from 17 to 66 years old. This some bulls**t. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 443
You deserved it 111

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JennYie 1

Work for FUN money! And ask two supervisors for the reference next time you apply for work!

Well that’s stupid. “We need employees so bad because of The Panini!!! Not you though get lost.” Have you ever done volunteer work? A lot of companies will consider that a form of job experience.

Comments

JennYie 1

Work for FUN money! And ask two supervisors for the reference next time you apply for work!

That's a pretty big résumé gap between ages 8-17, slack-ass. How do you explain that? You could've been assembling corded phones or making vacuum tubes.

ODBeefalo 10

figure out how you can add another job in the resume (IE. where to fit the time) then get a friend or family member to act like you worked for them. this is something I have done for numerous people applying for part time jobs when I was in high school and college.

That's harsh and absolute, gibbering idiocy. Do you have any friends, family or extended social peeps between them who own their own business? A weeks 'work' (even if you are paid in beer and peanuts and just make the tea and take donuts round) would get you that second 'reference' for your file. If not, you could try complaining to the company? It's basically discrimination against you for having had a life long career with a single employer. It's a rare thing these days, hence the general 2 reference rule, but the majority of people who have had only one job tend to be older or retired. It might be edging into Ageism. Worth having a Google about it and pointing that out in any complaint or future applications you make. There's also nothing to stop you going self employed except never having done it before. If you know what a screwdriver is and how to read instructions then people will happily pay you to turn up and build their flat pack furniture for them. There's nothing stopping you doing whatever the hell you want to do, especially if income isn't a factor. There's a thousand things on offer in the voluntary sector as well. Don't let the habit of being an employee get in the way of finding something fun and fulfilling to keep busy with.

Well that’s stupid. “We need employees so bad because of The Panini!!! Not you though get lost.” Have you ever done volunteer work? A lot of companies will consider that a form of job experience.