Karma

By SoandSo - 12/01/2024 09:00 - United States

Today, ten years after getting my college girlfriend pregnant and leaving because I wasn't ready, I reached out to her and told her I'm ready to be a father. Apparently my son "already has a father in his life" and "doesn't need me." She laughed at me when I threatened to sue for custody, and hung up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 86
You deserved it 2 829

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OP, sorry but you really are a jerk! You dodge the first years of your child's life without supporting it or their mother because you aren't "in the mood" to be a father. And then you come back 10 years later threatening to sue for custody! Try it - the only thing you will accomplish is paying the 10 years of child support you skipped and 8 more years of child support for the now and future. No sane judge is going to give you custody.

Comments

Skysie 1

I hate that the world is like this. if it was a mother not wanting her child she can abort, put them up for adoption and the father had absolutely no say in this. But if a father feels like he isn't ready to be a dad but the mother keeps the child anyway then he is the dead beat? how does that work? If you weren't ready then and she decided to keep the baby and you feel like you are ready now then you should get to know your child (not full custody, but something) because at some stage that kid is going to want to know you too.

EricW 4

What did you expect? a hero’s welcome?

You might not even be the father anymore, legally. If she didn't give your name when she gave birth (because you ran away before), then you're not registered as his father, and she has sole custody. She might even have allowed her current husband to adopt the child. Just FYI, she can also sue you for ten years back pay of child support, since I assume you didn't do that either. So maybe it's best to leave them alone.

You should have used protection 10 years ago... and seriously, what woman in her right mind would give you custody or want anything to do with you after you abandoned her and your child, then, when the timing was convenient for you, you showed back up and threatened to take the kid? You are a terrible person. I hope she sues you for child support.