It's close enough

By Jaymail - 17/08/2020 08:01

Today, after many hours studying a complete course of Spanish, I felt really good. I had accomplished something, something I could really use next week when I fly to Mexico on vacation. Then I found out what I had learned was Spanish as they speak it in Spain, not how they speak it in Latin America. FML
I agree, your life sucks 770
You deserved it 1 122

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DoctorPALO 14

Often textbook Español is just basics anyway; the dialects are different everywhere so you might be fine anyway.

You should be fine, chill out. When I went to Spain the more Mexican Spanish I knew worked fine. So the other way around will be fine also. It's just the way some things are said and that is nothing to worry about.

Comments

Well, that's no bueno! Even with Spanish Spanish, you should be able to order a taco and a cerveza por favor in Mexico.

DoctorPALO 14

Often textbook Español is just basics anyway; the dialects are different everywhere so you might be fine anyway.

You should be fine, chill out. When I went to Spain the more Mexican Spanish I knew worked fine. So the other way around will be fine also. It's just the way some things are said and that is nothing to worry about.

Hey, at least you got close. I studied Latin in high school for four years to travel to Latin America. When I got there, no one understood when I said, "Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est." And they thought my toga was "muy loco," whatever that means!

Reminiscent of that entertaining and credible old story about Dank Whale, who allegely regretted passing up Latin in high school ...

High school Latin was fantastic! No one even tries to speak it. I've heard that trying to learn a language without being immersed in it is useless.

I've been to the Vatican, Rome, and Pompeii... being able to use Latin is mildly useful. You can freak out a priest at the Vatican.

Sounds fantastic! I was planning to go to Rome in May, but a funny thing happened on my way to the forum.

zeffra13 31

Spain Spanish uses the vosotros conjugation, and pronunciation and slang varies by region, but it's still the same language. I'd be more worried about how textbook Spanish often doesn't teach the most common words for things (like it teaches "el coche" instead of "el caro").

It'll be fine. They're about as different as American English vs British English. There are definitely some differences, but you should be able to communicate. If someone says something you don't understand, try asking them to word it a different way.