Insurance fraud

By Anonymous - 07/09/2020 20:02 - United States - East Stroudsburg

Today, my boyfriend, who doesn't have a license, backed up my car in a Taco Bell parking lot. Someone else was also backing up and smashed right into my car. If they ask to see the camera footage, they're going to see he was driving and not me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 495
You deserved it 1 937

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would you let an unlicensed person drive your car? That's a dumb move. Had he been a legal driver, your insurance might have covered it... most insurances will cover a legal sriver if you gave that person permission to use your car. But... you're both going to be liable in this instance.

My mother asked why I wouldn't let her drive my car. "Because you're not on the insurance, Mom. And if I have learned anything from life it is that MURPHY'S LAW is always in effect. And since I depend on my car for work, that is a FORCE MULTIPLIER for Murphy."

Comments

My mother asked why I wouldn't let her drive my car. "Because you're not on the insurance, Mom. And if I have learned anything from life it is that MURPHY'S LAW is always in effect. And since I depend on my car for work, that is a FORCE MULTIPLIER for Murphy."

You never, ever loan you car to anyone unless they are on the insurance.

Why would you let an unlicensed person drive your car? That's a dumb move. Had he been a legal driver, your insurance might have covered it... most insurances will cover a legal sriver if you gave that person permission to use your car. But... you're both going to be liable in this instance.

My insurance is a very well known one. And it covers the person who was driving my car as long as I gave them permission to take my car. Check your insurance. The fact that he was driving your car may not be an issue.

I bet the fact that she let an unlicensed person drive her car might be, though.

samomaha 17

Not "might be". "WILL BE". Every insurance policy states clearly they do not insure unlicensed drivers.

He doesn't have a driver's license, dude.

Deny, deny, deny! The video is a deep fake. It's fake news. There are very fine people on both sides. Build the wall. Taco Bell is bringing drugs and crime. Fake news! (This is how you get out of things these days.)

theyellowgoose 3

it's a parking lot which is considered private property. you don't have to be licensed to drive there. he also doesn't have to be on your insurance 9 times out of 10. I don't know your particular insurance though.... but you are more then likely fine

While it's true that most laws of the road don't apply on private property (varying from state to state), including needing a driver's license in most states, the insurance still generally doesn't have to cover non-licensed drivers. So the boyfriend (as the driver) is going to still be liable for the damages instead of the insurance, and if OP says in court or sworn statements that she was driving, she is guilty of perjury.

voodoo66 5

and this boyfriend of yours, not man enough to take responsibility for his screw-up?

YDI for letting him borrow your car, especially since he has no license. Gee, I wonder why he doesn't have one... Hmm...

tounces7 27

Sounds like you're attracted to losers, frankly.

krakalacka 14

Hi, insurance claims adjuster of several years here. It doesn’t matter if the driver has a valid license or not, it only matters that you gave him permission to drive the vehicle. Call your insurance and be honest about it. Let them know you let him drive the vehicle and that he doesn’t have his own insurance because he is unlicensed and doesn’t own his own vehicle. It should be covered unless you explicitly excluded him from the policy. In the instance of both vehicles backing from a parking apace it will be considered a shared negligence loss at 50/50. I have covered claims where a 6 year old stole the parents vehicle. I have covered claims where my policy holder has a suspended license and is drunk at the time of an accident. I have covered this exact scenario many many times. Driving without a license is considered a criminal matter and insurance only deals with civil matters such as the rules of the road. The way I see it is I don’t care why that person is driving as long ad they had permission, I just care about what happened in the accident. To those that are saying insurance WONT cover this because he is unlicensed. I want to clarify that this person is not eligible to be listed as an active driver under the policy. However, permissive use applies to anyone the owner of the vehicle allows to drive the vehicle regardless of license status. There are exceptions to the rule like the one I mentioned above about being excluded, but ultimately the insurance is there to protect you in the event of an accident. Also know that when it comes to situations where some else is driving your vehicle or you are driving someone else’s vehicle, the insurance for the vehicle is ALWAYS primary coverage. In other words, primary insurance follows the vehicle. So for this scenario since the driver is unlicensed without other insurance, the insurance for the vehicle is primary and only coverage. As long as there are no special exceptions (like the one outlined above), you’ll be fine.