I'm on fire

By Jyocka - 26/04/2011 22:25 - Canada

Today, on a first date, I finished eating my sushi, feeling proud to have managed chopsticks so elegantly and then rubbed my eye, oblivious to the fact I had just touched some wasabi. What followed was a classy exhibition on how to jump around screeching in pain. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 286
You deserved it 27 118

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

enonymous 8

Put some ginger on it you'll be fine and maybe later let him put some soy sauce in your belly button and use you as a human sushi plate.

desilovesandy 0
denvan 0
StatusSearch 8

YDI for thinking you're dateable.

madeingeorgia 0

Another hint: if you've been handling spicy food, wash your hands *before* going to the bathroom.

If the date was good otherwise, and you didn't start swearing like a sailor, it's really not a big deal. So you acted a little like a spazz- if your date liked you, they probably thought it was funny/cute. I think a bigger issue might be you focusing on the elegance of your chopstick usage instead of your date. How you eat won't impress anyone, your ability to listen and hold a conversation will.

I don't know about that, if I went on a date with a girl who tried to eat Soup with her hands. Or just put her face into the plate and started eating it like a Dog. Then I might not call her back.

Considering you're not supposed to eat sushi with chopsticks...

45- I hope that's sarcasm. 31- I did say "it wouldn't impress anyone", implying that if she ate with royal manners, most people still wouldn't really care. The opposite can, of course, be true- if someone ate like a huge slob, it would be a turn off. Though I have to say, I am curious where you're going to find a girl who eats soup with her hands or licks the bowl like a dog, as anyone of dating age who does not have psychiatric or developmental issues of some sort would never do that (unless it's a dare, joke, etc).

You're actually not supposed to eat sushi with chopsticks. Sushi is too big and makes you look like a clumsy oaf.

49, I suppose anyone (myself included) who /can/ eat sushi without looking like a "clumsy oaf" are just a fair deal more sophisticated than you. It's quite possible to eat sushi with chopsticks, and far more rewarding than you stabbing it with a fork, or ungracefully using your fingers. Disgraceful.

@54 - Well that was a very strange way of admitting you don't know anything about manners and etiquette. It's okay though, by admitting that it makes it very easy to forgive you for being uncouth.

And for the record, *I* don't care if you look like a clumsy oaf, but that is the reason why sushi etiquette has you eating with your fingers, not chopsticks. There are a lot of interesting mannerisms about chopstick use... with the invention of the internet and search engines, it's really easy for you to learn.

ImThePope 2

"To eat sushi, clean your hands at first. Pick up nigiri-zushi (hand-pressed sushi) between your thumb and the index finger and the middle finger. Dip the end of the topping (not sushi rice side) in soysauce and bring the sushi to your mouth. It's good to eat the whole piece all at once if you can." This was quoted from a site on proper Japanese table manners. However, I will admit that I use chop sticks too eat sushi as well.