Hello, Goodbye

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2018 but it's good stuff - United States - New Hyde Park

Today, I was fired from a job I didn't know I had. That is to say, the company hired me but didn't tell me, so when I didn't show up for work two days in a row, they called and claimed job abandonment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 923
You deserved it 347

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

If they didn't know they hired you, you can just show up at work and pretend nothing happened. They seem to be clueless.

Zachary8261 28

Good riddance to them. Look for a better job where the owners are actually responsible, OP.

Comments

They sound like a bunch of clueless, irresponsible idiots. You probably would have been a good fit.

KnowsWhatAJokeIs 4

Or maybe OP had no idea that they had gotten the job?

Exactly. The OP should have been a lot more diligent about finding out whether he had the job and when his start date was.

PenguinPal3017 19

So you interview with someone. They say "we'll let you know if you get the job". They never contact you again. You are telling me that you would keep pestering them "did I get the job?" If you got it then they tell you. You don't go calling to ask when your start date is!

onceuponatime456 16

Are you always such an asshole?

No. Only on FML. In real life, I’m kind and sweet. FML lets me exercise my inner dick.

Where does it say that OP didn't call and ask? He could have asked and they told him the generic, "we're still interviewing and we'll give you a call soon." OP probably never got that call. Moreover, some higher end jobs don't even allow you to call to check on your status, not even a call to HR. So let's not jump to conclusions. The organization is at fault for not disclosing that information. Shit, they might have even 'fired' the wrong person.

We have to jump to conclusions! The OP only has 300 characters to state their story, so they don’t have space to fill in all details.

Hmm you gotta express your inner dick cause you don’t really have one to begin with huh?

Zachary8261 28

Good riddance to them. Look for a better job where the owners are actually responsible, OP.

Lobby_Bee 17

If they didn't know they hired you, you can just show up at work and pretend nothing happened. They seem to be clueless.

OP said they "he didn't know he was hired" not that "they" didn't know he was hired. He should have called to find out.

Did you even apply for this job in the first place?

Very dumb management they didn’t tell you anything except your fired all of them need to be fired for not updating you

Maybe they emailed you? And it went to your spam folder?

Hey tell them they never notified you and claim your job back you deserve it if you need it, that is

How can this happen? I mean, you have to sign a contract to start working somewhere. How can both parties miss that?

If that truly is the case, it sounds like they’ve got their heads up their disorganized asses, and you’re lucky to have dodged a bullet. Sounds like the kind of company that could routinely forget to issue payroll, or send in tax deductions. My guess is that had you worked there long enough, you’d have gotten completely screwed over due to managerial incompetence.

I’d have a conversation with management and the HR, obviously somebody dropped the ball.