Happy Birthday

By Anonymous - 07/10/2010 00:48 - United States

Today, my parents gave me my birthday present. Two weeks ago, I'd ordered an Xbox online. Three days ago, it came to my house, and my parents thought they could save money by putting wrapping paper on it, and giving it to me for my birthday. That's all they got me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 310
You deserved it 3 488

Same thing different taste

Top comments

1. Save wrapping paper. 2. Find huge empty box. 3. Fill with rocks until it weighs about 250 pounds. 4. Add a clothesline and wrap. 5. Give to your parents and tell them you got them a solar powered clothes dryer. 6. Record their reaction and put on YouTube. 7. Get #1 views (all time) award for your hilarious video, simultaneously wrenching the title from YouTube's most popular female singer, Justin Bieber and becoming a hero to all lovers of real music. 8. Become a YouTube partner. 9. Use money to buy Mars. 10. Live happily ever after while banging hot Martians.

paid2think 0

Comments

Not long after the Wii came out, I waited outside a Target at 6 in the morning to get one. It was pretty close to Christmas and when I got back my parents said that they wanted me to give it to them so that they could give it to me for Christmas. I said no and walked into my room and opened it. Having paid for and waited for it I wasn't going to wait to open it. They actually got me other things though, so FYL OP, your parents are stingy.

skyeyez9 24

Was it the new black xbox? I'm considering getting the newer one, but so far my old white one does just fine.

skyeyez9 24

85: That seriously sucks! I have one child (7yr old girl) and I tell her I love her every day and will never treat her like garbage. As for your mom, I wouldnt even bother picking out her nursing home. Just cut her off completely, you will be better off.

110: What a wonderful mother you must be and how fortunate your daughter is to grow up in a safe, loving, secure environment. Every night of my childhood I went to bed with my stomach churning and every morning I woke up the same way, with the same worry; what was going to happen today? What stupid, asshole thing was I going to get blamed for that I was nowhere near? What crappy stunt was my mother going to pull? Was she going to cheat me? Set me up for the neighborhood bully? Steal from me? Was she going to slap me silly over something so miniscule a normal parent wouldn't haven given it a thought? Or would this be a day when nothing bad happened? I never knew. I was completely set up for failure by the person who should have been doing the most to help me succeed. Everything I did was in spite of her, not because of her, yet she grabs the credit for my success. No child should ever live the way I did.

Honestly, some parents aren't concerned with actually being good parents. They are only concerned with their own wallet and with others thinking they are good parents, which is not the same thing. The illusion is cheaper and easier. Who cares what your kids think? It's what your peers think that matters. I would be willing to bet the OP's parents bragged to everyone that they got the OP an xbox for his birthday, conveniently leaving out the little detail that the OP actually paid for it himself. Presto! The friends and neighbors give them kudos and they strut around and think it didn't cost them a thing. Here is the real cost; the respect of their son. In the choice between their wallet and the respect of their child, they chose their wallet. They made this choice because they think they don't have to earn their child's respect. They think it's "automatic" that kids respect their parents so they have it "in the bag" and don't need to work at it so by their estimation they have their money AND their son's respect. They view this as, "he's mad now, but we're his parents so he'll get over it and we'll have gotten away with it." But the memory of being screwed over by your own parents is forever. It isn't the money; it's the lack of respect that's painful.

Don't be so ungrateful! Birthdays and Christmas aren't just about getting gifts. Hopefully they at least told you that they love you. BTW, Happy Birthday.

Why complain? You still have the xbox :p

You have an XBox now. BE HAPPY, YOU INGRATEFUL BASTARD!

What should he be grateful for? He bought it himself.