Get the message, my dude

By Anonymous - 03/11/2020 22:02 - United States - Anchorage

Today, after telling my boyfriend of 8 years on Monday that I'm unhappy and don’t want to be in a relationship anymore, he said to me just now, "So, I’m thinking of proposing to you in December." FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 057
You deserved it 199

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Too little, too late. Eight years, and his response to you pulling the ripcord is, "I was *thinking* about proposing?" This response is so transparently self-centered you could use it as window glass. Dump the sucker and don't accept any half-hearted "kinda" responses like that.

How does that change anything if you’re unhappy?

Comments

Well, you forced his hand. Well played! I don't know if you want the prize, though.

Are we thinking spring or summer wedding?

How does that change anything if you’re unhappy?

Too little, too late. Eight years, and his response to you pulling the ripcord is, "I was *thinking* about proposing?" This response is so transparently self-centered you could use it as window glass. Dump the sucker and don't accept any half-hearted "kinda" responses like that.

Sounds like he's just trying to work with you. Whats the real problem with your unhappiness? Also I wouldn't expect a significant other to be responsible for my happiness. That's a scary amount of control go give someone.

Ambrily 27

Hence the fact that they don't want to be in a relationship anymore?

Today, my girlfriend told me she wanted to dump me. I was thinking of proposing. FML.

Don’t listen to it! That is classic manipulation! If he had wanted to propose, he would have done it sooner. He is only saying this because he doesn’t want to be alone.

OP, if you are unhappy in your relationship and you have at least attempted to discuss the issues that make you unhappy and got no resolution then just end it. There are times when it’s clear that a relationship does not work. But one caution - Were you satisfied with the relationship before the COVID-19 pandemic hit? If the honest answer is yes then remember that we are all under stress due to the pandemic. The pandemic will pass, but it may be another year before that happens.

sucks for him, don't let him guilt trip you into anything.

Been there before. Told my ex of 3 years that I hadn't been happy for nearly 8 months (he had cheated a few times from the first 4 months we'd gotten together leading up to the last year and his family was awful to me (crazy rednecks)). His response was to immediately drive me to a lake and propose to me. Like that would make me fall in love all over again and just forget how miserable I was. So glad I went through the breakup because now I'm almost 9 years into a wonderful relationship with such an amazing man. Don't let this person try to rope you back in like that. You might be better off without, like me.