Freaked

By paranoid - 06/06/2009 04:43 - United States

Today, I was walking on a path through a park by myself. I glanced at the ground and saw a shadow behind me. Thinking of an attacker, I screamed as loud as I could and began flailing my arms to ward him off. Turns out, it was a jogger. He had to stop due to his uncontrollable laughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 686
You deserved it 55 054

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What the hell is with all the paranoid women? If theres a shadow behind you it doesnt automatically mean that youre about to get raped.

Who the hell waves their arms to ward off an attacker? Are you dealing with a raccoon or a mugger here?

Comments

If the jogger behind her was an attacker, flailing her arms certainly would have helped. A study conducted some time ago on prison inmates convicted of sexual harassment/rape crimes agreed that the more trouble a woman caused for them, the less likely they were to pursue her. However, the OP really should have turned to look at the person behind her first. But as a female, I share this paranoia with you. The world is a scary place, and it's filled with dangerous people. I have a friend who can't even walk home without feeling sexually harassed every.single.day. And not by just one, but by many! (And it's not the way she dresses or acts, so don't you morons give me any shit). How can you distinguish between a pervert and a potential attacker? Better safe than sorry.

thuryn 2

No, zitromd, not better safe than sorry. How about, "Give me liberty, or give me death!" If you aren't willing to defend yourself, you don't deserve the freedom you used to have. Freedom is not free.

fun_stuff 0

AHAHAAHAHAHA. oh man. i'm sorry. but that's sooo funny!

"I'm sorry but that hysterical, I totally wish I was there.

hogwartian02 0

Wow, someone thinks highly of themselves, assuming that another perdestrian has a burning desire to assault you in any way possible :) Glad to see you own a public park. Bitch.

#110- Flailing her arms around and screaming was the OP's way of defending herself. Although it could have been a better method, that's what she did regardless. "If you aren't willing to defend yourself, you don't deserve the freedom you used to have." And what about nonviolent protesters? I don't see how this argument is congruent to any aspects of the comment I made.

heyyou1203 0

Thuryn, #100, I'm sorry that you no longer sympathize with women's problems in today's world. I understand the frustration that comes when you hear a lot of feminists saying that we need rights yet you don't see any of the problem yourself, all you see is women taking advantage of the system such as "crying wolf" or snapping at a man for making an innocuous comment. I know many men who feel like they can't even be around women let alone talk to them without feeling like they've done something wrong. I am in no way saying that all women are perfect. However, men are equally as imperfect as women are. While some women are on the uber left "feminazi" side, some men are on the ultra right "a woman's place is in the home and pop out babies" side. And everywhere inb/w. However much these women taint your view of feminism though, it does not change the fact that serious crimes, such as rape, do happen and are more common than you think. A lot of people, men and women, tell themselves that it's that bad in order to protect themselves: men to protect themselves as being viewed as a rapist, and women who think "well the reason she got raped is because she dressed like a *****, so if I don't dress that way I'm safe." Which is false. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, and as obvious by these posts, "militant" feminists like me seem to be the only ones who care and are helping to put a stop to it instead of bitching on FML. I could tell you about the efforts I'm involved in but I hardly think this is the right forum for that. A hippie on the streets of Cambridge once sold me a bumper sticker that said, "Stop bitching... start a revolution!"

115# "some men are on the ultra right "a woman's place is in the home and pop out babies" side." Most of those men are trolling on the internet for a reaction.

heyyou1203 0

men and women tell themselves it's NOT that bad in order to protect themselves*** My bad, doesn't make sense the other way.