Fire hazard

By ThankfullyNotKickedOut - 26/08/2016 18:17 - United States - Coldwater

Today, I was trying to cook a pizza for lunch at my in-laws. I preheated the oven and took my dog out to go potty. I come back in to find the house filled with smoke, the detector going off, and a fire in the oven. Apparently, my mother-in-law left a tray of glass candle holders in it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 570
You deserved it 4 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They shouldn't have been there, but you always check the oven. It's rule #1

YDI for not checking, especially in someone else's home.

Comments

I love how many people are commenting on how you should know to check the oven beforehand, despite not storing things there yourself, because OTHER people store thing there. After all, if someone you've never met does something strange, you should just sense it through the internet and know to check for people doing it in your own life without telling you.

Kristoffer 35

You always check if there's something in the oven before you preheat it. That goes 10x for someone else's house.

Always check the oven is empty before turning it on. I quite often put my metal trays, muffin and cake tins in there after washing them; the residual heat dries them properly, then I put them away after they've cooled. My boyfriend hasn't learnt to check first after 12 years and despite me telling him too, so often has to deal with hot trays when he uses the oven.

icekingz 7

Why would I even have to think about checking an oven, such a waste of time. I don't surround myself with people that have no common sense. The oven is for baking things, when you are done take it out.

What about when you're keeping something warm? Or what if you don't have enough space in the rest of your house? At my house we rarely keep stuff in the oven, and nothing flammable, but because the possibility is there we check. And I don't blame OP for not thinking of doing that because it was an honest mistake, but you also can't blame the MIL for doing what is her norm too. Also, is taking a few seconds to open a door and prevent a potential fire really a waste?

Good job failing to use an oven. Oven light should of been on woulda seen the candle holders. And who tf leaves a house with the oven turned on in the first place?

Glass doesn't burn. It was probably grease that accumulates in the oven from months of use.

ar2ag3on 4

sorry but you should always check the oven first. seems pretty careless. but hope everything's okay

They shouldn't of been there in the first place but YDI for not checking beforehand Ie I have children and when little they put things everywhere, including the oven, if I didn't check the oven some years ago, we would of had some very roasted pets (we use to take off the knobs on the oven and stove for safety reasons before after and during use)

btracy619 23

Of course all of you check to make sure there is nothing in the oven every single time you use it I'm sure. Storing stuff in the oven is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of and there is no reason to assume everyone around you is that stupid. When you go to bake a pizza why should the thought "better make sure nobody left something that doesn't belong in an oven in the oven!" even cross your mind?