Family values

By Anonymous - 06/10/2019 12:00 - Croatia

Today, my 11-year-old cousin walked up to me as I was enjoying a glass of wine with friends at my mother's birthday party. Thinking she wouldn't like it anyway, I let her try. The little fucker drank the entire glass in one go, adding, "Usually, daddy gives me vodka." Good to know what my family is up to. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 699
You deserved it 620

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why is "daddy" giving an 11-year-old girl vodka? I think the underage drinking might be the least disgusting part of this story.

Y’all should really be arrested. Providing alcohol to minors, what’s wrong with you?

Comments

Y’all should really be arrested. Providing alcohol to minors, what’s wrong with you?

When my teenage cousins visited from overseas a few years ago, I remember once reading that it was sixteen in Cro. I’ve never been there myself, but maybe it was an older webpage. How there’s only a minimum purchase age is beyond me. Also, I am Croatian. My grandmother came from there, but it’s not as if she ever got to teach us their alcohol laws.

julfunky 29

The “legal drinking age” is 18. That’s just the technicality. They don’t really give a shit what age you are there.

Why is "daddy" giving an 11-year-old girl vodka? I think the underage drinking might be the least disgusting part of this story.

Always check with your relative or friend before you give their child(ren) a drag on a cigarette or a taste of an alcoholic drink in order to "teach them a lesson" about smoking or drinking, or before you spank them or set any kind of punishment for them for any reason.

Wow ... YDI for not holding onto the glass and giving her a super tiny sip. Next YDI is for letting her try in the first place. This is how people get addicted.

"She probably won't like it" isn't anywhere near a good reason to give alcohol to a minor.

Yeah, that area of the world has an extremely laissez-faire attitude about alcohol. Having partied with Croatians as a teenager, can confirm they were mad drinkers (ages 14-17). My Hungarian extended family encouraged me drinking palinka (just tiny shots) age 12-ish. Seems messed up. I personally have a healthy moderate relationship with alcohol as an adult and have never gotten wasted. Remember that alcohol has always been far more abundant than clean water in european civilizations (explaining why history itself is so wild) until Very recently.

Madison Gliosci 16

Oh my god social services needs to get involved

tounces7 27

Little known fact - if you are the parent/guardian of a child, you can legally give them alcohol so long as it is not to the level of being intoxicating. So, a glass of champagne at a wedding, for example.

Ah so you're one of those people that harbors the illusion that "taste buds change" as you get older. Yeah not true. You like what you like and don't like what you don't like. I used to think it was true because I liked and disliked spinach only to realize it was how it was made.