Today, I told my 21 year-old son he either has to break up with his girlfriend, who fills his head with lies about me, or I'd stop speaking to him. He laughed and said he'd fine with us not speaking ever again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 300
You deserved it 1 388

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When you give an ultimatum, make sure you can live with either outcome.

What did you expect? You can't tell a 21 year old adult who they can or can not date

Comments

garamo 4

I personally would chose my parents over anybody else, today’s GF can become a stranger tomorrow, your parents are your parents forever!

Suaria 38

We don't know what the situation is like. For all we know, OP could be abusive or not. I don't blame a person cutting off their parent if their parent is abusive

@garamo - It seems you're not familiar with the concept of getting disowned by parents.

Doom_Kitty 12

I'd chose an empty trash can over my parents. Not everyone is that lucky ;)

What did you expect? You can't tell a 21 year old adult who they can or can not date

When you give an ultimatum, make sure you can live with either outcome.

Play stupid games ,win stupid prizes because that's what ultimatums are!!

Not enough info to support your claim. This is very one sided. in fact my mother was not welcome in several of my brothers lives because would bad talk their S.O.'s and families. While I loved her dearly, my own mother was not welcome in my house as she was working to break up my 20+ year mirage when she couldn't manage 6 years with her first 3 husband's. As your son is an adult, he has full control over his life choices. don't make an ultimatum you are not ready to lose.

@Thaylok - Right? The fact OP didn't provide further details is a major red flag.

I have a toxic mother like you. She always interfered with my relationships. Now, I'm very happy with my partner of almost 20 years (that relationship of which she also attempted to sabatoge) and I barely talk to her anymore. Mothers like you are the worst.

How does a person manage to have a 21 year old son and precisely 0 understanding of them?

you might not be the great mother you think you are. his relationships are not yours to meddle in and this probably isn't the first time

When someone says “choose between me and the other person,” always choose the other person.

mccuish 25

I’d listen to my mom since she can see the 🚩