Buyer's market

By gasbrain - 05/09/2020 20:06

Today, after being unemployed for a couple of months, I got a call back from a security job I did for a week. But with a new condition: besides the security work, one day in the week they want me to cut grass, paint and clean up the grounds for the same minimum wage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 269
You deserved it 182

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Christina Winden 22

If it’s your only option at this point you might have to suck it up and take the job, as much as it sucks. At least you would have some income while you continue to search for something else.

Aaron Slattery 4

jobs a job. take it. continue looking for work

Comments

You ought to get with your union steward and file a grievance that you are being asked to do tasks that are outside your job description. Oh, wait, we don't have unions anymore, so suck it up, Buttercup! Happy Labor Day!

Christina Winden 22

If it’s your only option at this point you might have to suck it up and take the job, as much as it sucks. At least you would have some income while you continue to search for something else.

Aaron Slattery 4

jobs a job. take it. continue looking for work

bloopaloop 27

What’s wrong with cutting grass and painting? I get working “security” is mostly standing around doing nothing, but are you really too good to have to work for the money?

its not about being too good, it's the fact they're obviously taking advantage of AND underpaying op at the same time.

bloopaloop 27

Are they??? How much above min wage should he get for mowing grass once a week?

TinScarecrow 15

There's a difference between light and heavy labor. Mowing and painting are heavy labor

honestly I kind of agree, mowing grass isn't hard. however painting and yard work would be maintenance, so getting OP to take on part of that onto of their standard should get them 8-15% increase for full time worker. if they are just part time fill in sort of thing then I get tossing it in to a multi role job. And at this point it could be out of necessity. Either way OP should look into a raise, and keep looking for better work if they are minimum wage.

where I'm from they make much more, Google's your friend use it.

lifeis4me 20

OP was hired for security, not for janitorial services. If they’re going to do extra jobs that weren’t initially listed, they should earn more money.

power_in_the_now 19

Find a different job if your unhappy with it.. or be thankful they are attempting to keep you on and allowing the cutbacks they need to take and having you do ONCE a week. It sounds like a company that cares and your just looking at the negetive side of things

It's a job. And the extra work is oy one day a week. It always amazes me how picky unemployed people are. Take this for now while you look for something better.

coius 23

Did you think of doing a counter offer on wages? If they have no one else, as for a $3-$4 above the wages offered as a counter and see if they’ll take it. If you have no intention of wanting the job, it will then be no problem if they rescind the offer. No matter what people believe, it is perfectly well within your rights to negotiate wages. You dont have to accept minimum wage. If you really are good at what you do, they’ll likely take up the counter offer, i’ve done it before and gotten hired ( even with a $5/hr increase counter offer)