Brothers in arms

By MitchRapp - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my brother asked me what I want for my birthday, so I said that we could just hang out. He told me I should ask for something more realistic, like a gift card. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 539
You deserved it 1 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow, that's a pretty douchey move on your brother's part. I know time is valuable, but if you can't spend a little time with your family members for special occasions such as birthdays ... I hope that he has a legitimate excuse such as a work commitment. Hopefully you can spend the day with people who appreciate you. Happy Birthday, OP!

CheekyRaccoon 27

I don't want to eat the devil's avocado, but maybe because he's really busy and isn't able to do so? Even if so, he should find some time at a later date to hang out. Hope you have a nice birthday though OP!! c:

Comments

If I were him I'd rather hang out than spend the money, but I guess it's too much effort not to spend money for him. Hopefully you can reason with him and he'll change his attitude, and happy birthday!

Wow, that's a pretty douchey move on your brother's part. I know time is valuable, but if you can't spend a little time with your family members for special occasions such as birthdays ... I hope that he has a legitimate excuse such as a work commitment. Hopefully you can spend the day with people who appreciate you. Happy Birthday, OP!

CheekyRaccoon 27

I don't want to eat the devil's avocado, but maybe because he's really busy and isn't able to do so? Even if so, he should find some time at a later date to hang out. Hope you have a nice birthday though OP!! c:

I'll be honest, I have no useful input about the FML itself. I just wanted to express my love for the phrase 'eat the Devils avocado', thanks for introducing me to it!

I'll also add that it's not unlikely that the brother would feel bad if he didn't buy OP a material gift and what he meant to say didn't come out so well.

CheekyRaccoon 27

I'm glad you like it. Wordplay is fun, anyone who says otherwise needs to loosen up.

Random fact: avocation means lawyer in french, or advocate, but it also means avocado. Therefore, translating devils advocate and devils avocado would be the same thing.

Sounds like my little brother. But he's actually just a smart ass who lives five hours away. Hopefully it's just a joke and you're pleasantly surprised on your birthday OP

You shouldn't have to put up with that, maybe next year ask for him to a caring person. Put him in his place.

Attacksloth 33

Am I the only one who isn't interpreting the brother's actions as being necessarily negative? When someone wants to buy you a gift, they want to... BUY... YOU... a GIFT. With most families, hanging out with family is implied. Maybe the brother was frustrated because he obviously meant suggestions for material things. I know I dislike being told things like "oh, don't buy me anything."

I guess, your brother's time is more expensive. But, Still. It's your Birthday, op! I hope you spend this valuable day having fun!

Because as you get older, you learn of the "no return" policy we all hate...

aliciousness116 16

That's just mean, I mean the way he said it. It's understandable if he had other important plans but to ditch your family like that is not right. Anyway, Happy Birthday OP!

I think he meant like if he didn't get you anything even though you asked... You'd still be upset. So he wanted to get you a gift card and hang out with you.