Bad sitter

By Kelli - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I was taking care of a friend's hamster. Thinking the hamster wanted to make a bed, I put some cotton balls in his cage so he would be comfy. He promptly ate them and died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 380
You deserved it 42 943

Top comments

FYLDeep 25

Reminds me of the time I babysat my friend's babies and gave them plastic bags.

Comments

why would u do that? hamsters will eat anything??? plz don't put any plastic bags near yourself since u might put them over ur head and suffocate.

Don't they just use that sawdust stuff for bedding anyway? Why TF would you put cotton balls in there? I've never taken care of a hamster but if someone wanted me to I'd at least ask what I was supposed to do and not do.

Otaku31 19

Wow...I've had hamsters since I was two years old. I have them stuff like that all the time and nothing bad ever happened. Sorry op, maybe there was something wrong with that hamster.

You were putting a little too much effort into watching a hamster.

not giving cotton balls to a hamster is obvious

to everyone calling op an idiot, cmon. how could she possibly know the hamster was going to EAT the cotton balls? i’m sure all of you can predict the future too.

Yeah..... if they needed cotton balls, I'm sure the hamster owner would have supplied them. Pet-sitting usually entails making sure the animals have food and water and, if necessary, take them outside to use the bathroom (not the case with hamsters). Basically let them be and tend to their needs. Your friend will be right to make you buy replacement hamsters and then never trust you again.

you thought he knew how to make a bed? or he just knew through instinct?