Armchair psychiatrist

By jessie - 16/12/2020 20:58 - United States - Denver

Today, I was informed that I am, in fact, faking my depression. Why? Because I shower daily. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 064
You deserved it 68

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kraths 16

Mental illness is extremely difficult to nail down because of how each person is affected differently. I have a friend who has depression that will shut down and ignore the world and another who buries their feelings so much you would never know.

Long showers can actually be a sign of depression, but so can not showering, and so can normal length showers... turns out showers aren't a great way of diagnosing people.

Comments

sounds like toxic parents. they might be part of why you have depression in the first place.

how do you know they live with their parents? could be their SO, friend, roommate, other family members, etc.

probably because I've read too much of r/entitledparents. there really is no indication.

Kraths 16

Mental illness is extremely difficult to nail down because of how each person is affected differently. I have a friend who has depression that will shut down and ignore the world and another who buries their feelings so much you would never know.

Long showers can actually be a sign of depression, but so can not showering, and so can normal length showers... turns out showers aren't a great way of diagnosing people.

coius 23

I concur. A more likely measurement that would indicate depression is activities in free time. If one has a hobby they enjoyed and when given the opportunity to do said hobby and they do something else (like just binge watching tv or spacing out) instead of the hobby, it’s more likely to indicate depression than showers. Looking at a person’s free time is extremely help during diagnosis other than what some people consider a daily routine. It’s almost like asperger’s. There isn’t a test but observing interaction for a period of time is how they make an accurate diagnosis as there are different severities of being afflicted by it. Depression can have differing severities too. It’s all best caught through observation of daily acts.

I know people who are so stupid like that.. but maybe try and look at it like this: You have depression, but you are still doing one daily needs function to keep yourself clean and hygienic. It's not much to other people, but it could be a HUGE win for you!