Am I being detained?

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - Canada - Chilliwack

Today, a police car hit my parked vehicle, likely due to icy road conditions. When the officer came over to talk to me, I assumed it was to give me his insurance information. Nope. It was to give me a ticket for "impeding a police officer." My car was in my driveway. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 578
You deserved it 2 618

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Get a lawyer and sue him. It's highly unlikely that anything else would be successful.

Comments

Get a lawyer and sue him. It's highly unlikely that anything else would be successful.

sethsmith11 21

Lawyer might be more then ticket. Not sure.

You can get one of the lawyers that only gets paid if they win. They take a third of the winnings. If you decide to sue, it shouldn't be just to get the ticket taken off but the officer should get reprimanded in some way.

It's not only about the ticket but the damaged car, as well.

Lawyers are next to worthless for auto losses. If OP calls their insurance company they will explain their filing options. If OP does not want to use their own coverage, the insurance company will assist in filing a loss with whatever entity handles auto losses for the police department. You can't place neglegence on a stationary object.

josiemorehouse 12

#48 The issue isn't about the loss due to damage to OP's car, it's about the cop giving OP a ticket when OP clearly wasn't at fault in the described situation. What the cop did in this case was wrong and OP shouldn't have received a ticket. Yes, this should be something the OP fights. Document everything, get a lawyer and fight. And some lawyers will not ask for compensation until the case has been settled.

#48, this is more about the officer's abuse of power and wrongfully issuing OP a ticket than it is about the car. He was wrong and there should be action taken against him. OP's insurance will take care of the damaged car and the insurance company will pursue the officer for reimbursement.

martin8337 35

Does Canadian law allow a person to sue the police or government?

Canadian law does allow you to sue a police officer. A lawyer would likely cost more than the ticket so there's always small claims court or just file a complaint.

He also has to get his car fixed some way, so it's more than just the ticket he's looking to not pay for.

#33 I don't know about Canada, but his car should be covered by taxpayers

lexiieeex3 32

It's the principle... I would go for his badge.

#67. The damages should be covered by the police officer personally. By writing the ticket, he has proven himself to be a worthless piece of shit who does not deserve a badge.

anormalperson 25

Abusing their powers much? Anyways it was clearly the officers fault.

Hey, at least the cop didn't get out of the car and shoot OP like in GTA V.

I'd fight that. Hopefully he had a dashcam running. What a jerk.

If he does the tape will probably mysteriously disappear like Lois lerners hard drive. Not saying everyone is corrupt, but the people who are go to great lengths to protect themselves.

Yes, but I'm sure that the dash cam was mysteriously malfunctioning at the time and they will be unable to corroborate the OPs story and protect the thin blue line per usual SOP

JohnTheDonJuan 11

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

naw then the officer will just think he can keep doing it.

JohnTheDonJuan 11

I probably should've stayed off of the pun bandwagon. Judging by my miserable failure, it looks like I got run over by it instead of getting on it.

Did we not forget OP's car was hit? There could be more damage to it, so it wouldn't just be paying the ticket.

Sorry #10, it was early are I was distracted. It's funny now that I'm awake.

What a dick. Obviously trolling but you're being a schmuck about it.

okay but realtalk why does it seem like the police are always on some type of goddamn power trip like bruh. we get it, you're kinda important. please stop being a douchebag and get back to your ******* job

Hell yeh man. **** the police and their power hungry agenda.

Take pictures and call a news station. Chances are EVERYONE impedes him, and this would force his department to evaluate him.

damn that's a little harsh maybe he was having a bad day I wonder if he's always like that did you bitch him out or something?

It is wicked simple, if like in the US, bring it to traffic court. It has nothing to do with suing, but if you pay the ticket it is an immediate guilty and cannot be reversed. The judge should be fair and drop the ticket

That doesn't cover the damage caused by the officer hitting the car. Go straight to the station and bring up the fact that on that day at that time he hit the car

I would have taken pictures of the accident and then go to court to fight it.