Alexa, play "You made me realise" by My Bloody Valentine

By singleandthankful - 23/02/2013 23:18 - United Kingdom - Beaconsfield

Today, my now ex-boyfriend called me out after I spelt "realised" with an S instead of a Z. It wouldn't have been so bad, if we weren't both British, if he hadn't called me an "illiterate idiot", and if he hadn't muttered "family of morons" when my mum backed me up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 248
You deserved it 4 857

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's so annoying when people are arrogant and rude on top of being blatantly wrong...

fylx100 19

You just went full retard. Never go full retard.

Comments

I'd rather be in a family of morons than a family of complete dicks like this guy.

I'm british and I fought with my sister that licence was spelt license in England, I'm a moron too :D

oj101 33

Yeah. OP didn't learn to spell realize with a z in the end.

longchow 8

Odd, in the States, we spell it license. Where do people spell it "licence"?

127 - What? Didn't you just say England spells it as "license." Anyway, "licence" is actually the noun as in "driver's licence card" and "license" is a verb as in "He licensed him to drive."

Proper grammar saves relationships, and don't you ever forget that, kids.

There's no "proper grammar" argument here. Both spellings are correct.

metalcrazed 21

Um,grammar and spelling aren't the same thing.

12- I actually meant having knowledge of grammar would save it because her ex is an idiot, but I definitely see how I screwed that one up lolol

littlemsweirdo 12

Is it just me or are winky faces sometimes really creepy?

Winky faces are very misleading. I always thought they meant vulgar things...

littlemsweirdo 12

Lol. I just laughed so hard that I hit my face on my phone. Now I have a ******* nosebleed. You are pretty damn cute tho. (:

It's so annoying when people are arrogant and rude on top of being blatantly wrong...

But then whenever I see "spelt", instead of spelled, I think of the grain.

I think both ways are acceptable... In America we say "realized" and in Britain it's "realised". Still a jerk move for him to respond the way he did. PS it's "mom" not "mum" though :)

fylx100 19

You just went full retard. Never go full retard.

It was supposed to be a joke but I guess nobody else got it

No, it's "mum", as in "your mum must be ashamed of your linguistic ignorance" or the good old "I just came all over your mum's face, now if only your dad had instead of helping her conceive you". Edit: Oh, the "it was sarcasm/a joke" excuse. Original.

Wow that's a little bit harsh... I am aware that in England you say "mum". It was supposed to be a joke. I was trying to say that I know there are different spellings of "realized/realised" but then act ignorant on the spellings of "mom/mum". As a joke. Not as "full retard".

The smiley face was supposed to give it away. Anybody who's ever watched Harry Potter or any other movie based in England knows that people in England say "mum". It's not some obscure fact.

No offense, but you're on FML. Half the people here don't even know the difference between "your" and "you're", let alone other simple things like non-American English spelling differences. But okay, sorry for assuming the worst.

OhhhMaryy 12

You didn't have to be such a dick about it, he said it was a joke. gosh -.-

You were doing fine until the last sentence! lol

JadeWinter 16

Oh no, we got it... It just wasn't very funny. Maybe next time.

Yet another time when the sarcasm tilde would have come in handy and prevented an argument.

hell I'm American and I prefer to spell it realised it just doesn't look right to me with a z

I mix my spellings. For example, I write theatre instead of theater. Unless you're at school or work, it shouldn't matter how OP chooses to spell.

I got your joke Metzler, some people just don't get good sense of humor

America is the only place on Earth. Don't lie to us about this, "England," with these, "British," people.

chelsearenaeee 16

So you guys broke up? That's extreme

Koios 30

What kind of broken relationships do you have if you're willing to stay with someone who refers to you and your family as a "family of morons"?

chelsearenaeee 16

I meant that she should sit and talk with him before telling him it's over. Lay down some ground rules.

Would you want to date someone that idiotic who thinks you are the stupid one? I'm American, and I know that "realise" is the British spelling, and that they say "spelt" (which also makes me think of the grain) instead of "spelled" and "learnt" instead of "learned". That her British boyfriend didn't know this is sad indeed and good enough to make him her ex.

I would usually agree with you, but in this instance, the boyfriend's actions demonstrated a fundamental lack of respect for OP, which is adequate justification for ending the relationship. There's very little reason to believe that someone like that would be receptive to communication, or honor "ground rules" if he doesn't even respect OP on the most basic level. Besides, the FML does not provide information regarding the details of the break up, so it's entirely possible that OP decided to leave him after attempts at reasoning with him failed.

chelsearenaeee 16

Okay, calm down you guys. Seriously. It's the internet. And newsflash, people have opinions

Very nice, you have used a single condescending statement to defend your own entitlement to opinion and dismiss the same right of others simultaneously. Thank you for the amusement this evening. :)

chelsearenaeee 16

You know, I'm not disagreeing with any of you. I'm saying we're all human here, it's not a big deal. Honestly if he was that rude I would dump him, only after talking to him first. There's no need for rude remarks and comments about what I have to say. And yeah yeah, this is the internet I know but that doesn't mean we have to embrace the internet and all its' flaws

There’s just one case where only learned is used – whether British or American English. This is when used as an adjective meaning “possessing or demonstrating profound knowledge”. For example, ‘a learned person’ or ‘a learned response’. In this case, learned is pronounced with two syllables – “learn” and “ed”, unlike learned as a verb where it’s just one syllable. The exception being America where they use learned but that's a whole other story. Trying to find the info now on why the spelling is different. I know, just want to find proof as many people will be upset by it (even though it has nothing to do with them at all).

People shouldn't waste their time in relationships where they feel they're being disrespected. The point of dating is to find the perfect person for yourself, and no one should settle for someone that makes them less than happy. You're not supposed to just muddle through things with someone you're dating. If you make a lifelong commitment to someone, that's one thing. Do whatever you can to make that work. But if you're dating and you find yourself feeling bad feelings more often than good feelings, cut your losses and find someone better for you.

My dear... Chelsea is it? I understand your side, and respect your opinion. However, what is an FML without a little debate? The man in question here made a mistake. A rather stupid mistake but a mistake nonetheless. This is easily forgivable, which is where I believe your opinion of a drastic move comes in. It is his insistence he is correct, unwillingness to listen or be corrected, and insult to his sweet girlfriend and her family that puts people off. Over a spelling mistake. This shows immense immaturity and an ego the size of Texas. These are not admirable qualities in a man, especially one who will jump to insulting your family when his Tex-ass size ego is threatened. However I do not believe you were condoning his behavior, I'm merely explaining what your adversary are stating.

#73 I suspect the spelling (and punctuation) differences came about probably as a way of separating us (Americans) from the British. It's also why Americans switch their forks from their weaker hand to the dominant hand after cutting food while Brits don't.

Good decision, OP, leave the bloody bastard in your dust, you can do better than him, I'm sure you realize!!

My guess would be because OP already realized, which is why she said ex boyfriend.

After those comments I'm glad he's your ex! Good decision, OP

It's because of attitudes like this that there are more weddings than marriages.

32, wouldn't a person settling for the first asshole who comes along lead to more weddings than marriages? I feel like you're supposed to leave someone who doesn't treat you well.

32- Ok just to be clear, when you say "attitude like these" are you referring to the 1) bf's attitude or 2) OP's attitude? Because if you're siding with the bf I would highly disagree! If my future boyfriend ever demeans my family calling them illiterate, idiots, morons... I would definitely kick him to the curb! Blood's always thicker than water and I'm a family person. I love them. I would not tolerate anyone (including a husband) belittle them! So I'm glad OP got rid of his idiotically moronic a**! :)

Well good for you for breaking it off! If he disrespects your family, he is not worth the time of day!