Alcohol ain't no joke

By WellPlayedMother - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff

Today, I discovered, after years of being grounded for losing my belongings, that I didn't actually lose anything. Instead, my mom drunkenly admitted to tossing my stuff away and then punishing me for it whenever she was mad at me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 700
You deserved it 1 072

Top comments

airdude25 18

Your mom is a freaking douche. I'm sorry OP!

Comments

Lock things up and keep your favourites hidden... Either way it's now pretty good that you now know...

Sounds like something my mom would have done if she would have thought of it. As an adult I realized I do t have to have her in my life and I certainly don't have to respect her. My point being... If you can run, run far far away. They don't get better with age like a fine wine. They turn into meaner and bigger bitches.

This very definitely qualifies as Gaslighting, which is a form of emotional abuse based around making the victim question their perceptions of reality. I might suggest trying to see a counsellor to deal with the issue; it can cause issues with self doubt, and a loss of confidence (because you no longer trust your own reality) if you feel like it's had an emotional impact on you in that way, and to explore whether this sort of behaviour might have been seeping in to other parts of your life and your relationship with her as well.

This is one of those fmls that makes me mad. I'm sorry op.

Your mom was obviously acting like the immature child. Sorry OP

Goblin182 26

I hate to be the one to tell you, but your Mom is a true bitch.

Reading this FML made me feel so angry on your behalf, OP. I'm really sorry, and I hope she doesn't do anything similar again. Also, she should feel very embarrassed about herself once she sobers up in my opinion, and you deserve an apology. No doubt about it.

Years ???? Grounded for years ??? Whaaaaaaat