Addict

By Anonymous - 23/09/2013 02:56 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my mother asked me if she could borrow $200. Being the lovely daughter I am, I gave her my bank card to withdraw it herself. She gambled it away and maxed my bank account out. I had $1500 saved. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 729
You deserved it 20 846

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry to hear. but please get her to seek help as pathological gambling can be as debilitating as using drugs. Take care xx

thegravytrain 6

1) Inform her that she needs to pay you back. Also, understand it likely isn't going to happen. 2) Show her those free casino games on iphones or whatever, that are cheap and free. She can play out her gambling addiction, without actually going bankrupt. Simple, huh? I have a family member who wasted thousands until someone just got him a smartphone with the casino app and said "here. play this. itll cost you a couple bucks a month instead of hundreds or thousands" and he just uses that and pays like $2.99 for more chips if hes out, that lasts him at least a week or two. 3) Understand it's not being a good daughter to enable someone's addiction. If you didn't know, that sucks. But she needs help, not gambling money

Comments

A lot of people hide their problems and don't make it obvious, she most likely didn't know and trusted her mom enough to think she was just going to withdraw the 200$. And maybe her problem JUST started, we don't know unless OP comments and tells us more of the story.

Willibobs 33

I don't get all the comments saying YDI because she gave her mother the card. None of you would ever give your card to your family members and trust that they would only use it for what they said? I find that ****** up.

That's not ****** up, that's being safe. Don't trust anyone but yourself with your own money.

TheDrifter 23

Never trust anyone with your money and never give family anything you need back. Those were basic rules of life where I grew up.

Willibobs 33

I've lent my card to my sisters and a couple of close friends. They've never stolen from me, and I have faith that they never would. I'd rather put my trust in people who've earned it then go around thinking everyone's out to get me.

AurumPotestasEst 16

Even people who've been trustworthy their entire lives may change. Her mother could have been in debt and originally just taken the $200 thinking she could win the money she needed in the casinos... but she lost it all and became desperate, going back to the ATM repeatedly, trying to win back what she lost, until she had drained her daughter's account. Anyone can become an addict at any point in their lives and there are many different reasons why they might.

150493x 29

Maybe it's time you both sat down and talked about getting her some help.

It's not good to be gullible. Sorry that you had to learn that lesson so harshly.

Sorry, but it's your own fault for giving someone access to your bank card instead of getting off your ass and going to the ATM yourself like you should have. Tough luck. Lesson learned. And I'd change my PIN if I were you so she doesn't steal your card and do it again!

Sorry to hear that OP. And to all the people who are saying she shouldn't have lent out her card to her mother, back off. Many people have good healthy relationships with their parents and would trust them with anything. I trust my mother with my cards all the time when she needs a little extra cash or I owe her money that I let her go get herself and she's never abused or been negligent with the card. It's not the OP's fault that her mother betrayed that trust.

Unfortunately, that's not how the bank looks at it.

Op gave her card to her mother, she made that mistake. I never give my card, phone, or computer to other people, especially family. Because if they break it, then it would ruin our relationship.

jw90 18
JokersHQ 21

That's rough. You should definitely make her pay you back though. She may be your mom but that doesn't entitle her to you earnings.

You can't trust anyone, even relatives with your possessions, whether it's a car, money, camera, etc. I'm sorry for your loss, work out a payment plan, and charge interest!