A teacher's burden

By Anonymous - 13/05/2009 17:46 - Canada

Today, a parent came into my class and told one of my 6 year-old students that their grandma died. Then the parent left. The kid started crying from the news, which then got all the other students crying. I spent the rest of the day comforting a class of kids crying over someone else's grandma. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 521
You deserved it 3 858

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kids will cry over anything, although it sucks you have to deal with it. Sorry charlie. And how shitty of the mom to just come by tell the bad news and leave.

The kid's mom didn't take him/her home? Jeez.

Comments

Welcome to "this is part of your job 101" Not an FML, a part of your own life choice. If you can't accept it, find a different career. I wouldn't trust my child with anyone who objects to comforting her.

Allord 0

That was an amazingly shitty move on the parent's part, publically upsetting ALL the kids and leaving you to deal with the aftershocks. What the hell is everyone talking about "You signed up for it, you should be ready to deal with it" business? What shit is that? So you guys go to a boxing match with crowbars and beat the living shit out of a boxer saying "if he didn't want the shit beaten out of him, he wouldn't have become a boxer"? Are you guys retarded?

Scorponok 0

You're teaching 6 year olds. F-that parent for their lack of tact, but seriously, when one kid cries, it spreads like wildfire. Get used to it.

#37 that's the correct form of grammar...it's supposed to be "their", not "there" or "they're". -.-; I fail to see how a bunch of kids crying is cute, but this isn't a FYL, more FHL.

It is so precious that children are so empathetic.

@ #98 No, no, #37 was right. It's only supposed to be "their" if the OP was referring to more than one child. Since only one child lost a grandparent, the OP should have used the word "his" or "her". That said, it's not really something that I would worry about unless the teacher is teaching high school or college English. To the OP - FYL, indeed. I can't even imagine how stressful that would be! That kid's parent fails at life!

what a shitty parent. you take the kid OUT of school for that, or at least wait til they get home. shit.