8 out of 10 dentists

By Anonymous - 21/03/2023 14:00

Today, I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning, only to find out that I had been brushing my teeth wrong for years. He told me you're supposed to let the toothpaste do its magic instead of rinsing it off. Is this true? FML
I agree, your life sucks 347
You deserved it 398

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No. He's confusing toothpaste for hair conditioner. That's a mistake almost anyone can make, except a dentist. Get a new one.

Why is everyone so confident about posting incorrect information? Every one of these comments is wrong. You shouldn't rinse your teeth after brushing because you rinse off the active ingredients.

Comments

No. He's confusing toothpaste for hair conditioner. That's a mistake almost anyone can make, except a dentist. Get a new one.

The opposite is true as far as I’m aware. Grown-up toothpaste is made with higher fluoride levels than kiddie toothpaste because kids can’t be relied on to rinse properly and fluoride in too high concentrations can cause health issues. Maybe in your specific area or for your specific teeth it might be more beneficial to leave it on?

It's OK to rinse. It's better to just spit out what you have in your mouth or do light rinse and leave a little to coat your teeth.

Why is everyone so confident about posting incorrect information? Every one of these comments is wrong. You shouldn't rinse your teeth after brushing because you rinse off the active ingredients.

Try the NHS website. It has nice clear guidelines on toothbrushing that clearly state that you should avoid rinsing.

Nikki 16

Don't rinse with water straight after toothbrushing After brushing, spit out any excess toothpaste. Don't rinse your mouth immediately after brushing, as it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the remaining toothpaste. Rinsing dilutes it and reduces its preventative effects https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-teeth-and-gums/how-to-keep-your-teeth-clean/#:~:text=Don't%20rinse%20with%20water,and%20reduces%20its%20preventative%20effects.

Sdog 6

I just learned this too. Don’t rinse off (just spit I think) at least for the brush before bed. Daytime rinse if you are going to eat soon. Not sure if this is new or we were not taught properly as kids.

My understanding is that if you brush your teeth under the recommended minimum of two minutes, which is not enough time for the fluoride to work, don't rinse. If you brush for two minutes or longer, you can rinse.

Haven’t heard that about toothpaste, but you are supposed to let mouthwash sit on your teeth so the fluoride can help strengthen them. You can spit it out, just don’t rinse.

Most dentists will tell you that you brush your teeth wrong if they see even a hint of cavity in your mouth. Don't worry. Just keep brushing your teeth and you'll be fine.

I found this out recently as well. Apparently you are supposed to spit but leave the fluoride to work on your teeth for as long as possible. Rinsing straight after brushing makes the fluoride utterly useless. I was also told to use mouth wash about 5 mins before brushing as well, never after brushing, especially at night. The dentist said she sees people with perfect dental routines but who still develop cavities because they've never actually let the fluoride do it's job beyond the brushing...