Epic Boss Battle

By Anon - 04/01/2018 15:00

Today, hoping to seal the deal on a promotion, I had my boss over for dinner. My dad, who lives with me, started ranting about homosexuals burning in hell. My boss’s daughter is a lesbian. Now my dad’s nose is broken and I fear for my job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 373
You deserved it 805

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hopefully your boss is reasonable enough to understand that just because your father is homophobic, that doesn’t mean you are yourself. But knowing stories about bosses on this app, I have a feeling that’s he probably isn’t.

Your dad needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut. Hopefully your boss doesn't punish you for what your dad says.

Comments

Your dad needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut. Hopefully your boss doesn't punish you for what your dad says.

No matter what someone said it is still a felony to break their nose.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I tried, but all the glory holes are occupied.

Hopefully your boss is reasonable enough to understand that just because your father is homophobic, that doesn’t mean you are yourself. But knowing stories about bosses on this app, I have a feeling that’s he probably isn’t.

I have a feeling he isn't either based on the fact that his boss felt it was appropriate to use violence.

Probably shouldn't have invited dad to join the dinner if he was so homophobic, particularly if you're inviting someone that important over. Though I am curious how that topic comes up in conversation.

You would be surprised. My father was antisemitic, homophobic, racist, and misogynist. People like that throw various pejoratives around very casually, in any kind of conversation. And then you kinda do a double take and "WHAT did you just say?"

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Shocking news report - having an opinion does not mean you’re free of consequences. This isn’t some public forum where people are free to spout whatever nonsense they like because of freedom of speech. This is a private home that the boss was invited into, where I don’t think boycotting or counterprotesting is quite so effective. The man basically sat there and told the boss that his daughter, his child, his loved one, deserves an eternity of suffering over who she sleeps with, but yeah, the boss is a twat for taking offense. Nice priorities.

I highly doubt they even knew the daughter was gay. sounds like he was just generally ranting which isn't a personal thing so there was no reason for the boss to get violent no one was personally bashing him you have to be a special kind of snowflake to take second-hand offense. If you don't like what you're hearing you speak about it and or leave you don't just go around breaking noses.

Honestly, unless the dad is an ass who rants to anyone and everyone he meets about his beliefs, their is the possibility he somehow knew. Such as seeing op's boss out with his daughter and her girlfriend(if she has one). Either way, while the boss did act strongly I don't blame him. Besides, the boss may be regretting his decision, seeing as he can actually lose his job if the father presses charges.

julfunky 29

If you spew hate speech then you should be prepared to be punched in the nose.

You obviously don’t have kids. Whether it’s directed at the kid or not, any parent with protect them.

The OP’s father said this in front of a guest I’m assuming he has never met before, and not only that, a guest that he [the father] didn’t invite over himself. He had no business being an asshole.

In this Country we have a little thing called the First Amendment, look it up.

I have to side with K4yj4y here. Yes, OP's father is a tactless fuckhead. However, you only ever resort to violence in defence (be it of yourself or some else). You never hit someone just because you don't like what they said. It doesn't matter how offended you are, it does not give you the right to punch someone in the face. I can't believe I have to explain this. Christ, you people are a bunch of thugs.

You don't really know your own Constitution, do you? The 1st amendment simply states, among other things, that the Congress cannot pass laws to abridge the freedom of speech or of the press. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without facing any consequences whatsoever. If that were the case, people would not get sued for slander or defamation. That being said, I don't approve of the boss's reaction. He could have just stormed off, violence doesn't solve anything.

The first amendment applies to the government, not private conversations. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If dad lives with you and not the other way around, sounds like dad needs to find a new place to live.

As Long as you didn’t support those views you should be okay...

Come out to your boss. Tell him that if you had more income/more financial security you wouldn't have to live with your dad. Get your own place.

Ah, liberal 'tolerance' at its finest. And societal PC peer pressure approving assault and violence "as long as" it's directed at the 'right' people. Sick, sad world.

ThatGuy9679 13

No way to know the boss was liberal. You talk negatively about something that relates to a man's daughter you can expect a reaction no matter what their views are.

By your logic I guess we should be condemning war heroes too, because all violence is bad right? Ask me who I have more respect for, the assaulter or the assaultee. A tolerant society must be intolerant of intolerance.

So many questions.....why the hell do you have your Boss at your Home to "seal the deal on a promotion"? That's something you do outside on neutral grounds in a restaurant or something. Unless you and your boss are good friends (which i doubt or otherwise you'd have known of problems possibly arising between your dad and your boss) you should just striktly separate your work and private life.