By Amanda - 05/05/2018 15:00

Today, my daughter has been using the "supertaster" excuse to not eat my cooking. To prove to her that she isn't one, I blindfolded her and gave her a bowl of jelly beans, then asked her to plug her nose and identify the flavors. She got every single one correct. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 817
You deserved it 3 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like somebody has a glorious future in cooking. Better have her start right now, everyday, in your kitchen, preparing dinner.

I could sort of see this working when testing brand foods against generic store stuff, but jelly beans are distinctly flavored, so she was in with a good chance of getting them all right.

Comments

I could sort of see this working when testing brand foods against generic store stuff, but jelly beans are distinctly flavored, so she was in with a good chance of getting them all right.

Except plugging your nose cancels out taste too.

You don’t exactly smell the jelly beans before/during eating one, so idk if plugging your nose would work in this scenario...

julfunky 29

It’s not a noticeable smell but it will still be affected when holding your nose. This, specifically jellybeans and holding your nose, is something that many elementary school science teachers have done in their classes because for most people it works enough to cloud your senses.

Try to make your cooking not taste "superbad" next time.

Sounds like somebody has a glorious future in cooking. Better have her start right now, everyday, in your kitchen, preparing dinner.

TomeDr 24

I’ve never lost my sense of taste. I remember being startled by people telling me that can’t taste foods when they have a cold. Sounds like your daughter is the same way.

Have you ever considered a career with the X-Men?

Suaria 38

Do you have an increase sensitivity to bitter foods compared to the average human being?

TomeDr 24

I can correctly identify every Jelly Bean as well, everyone always makes me try to guess flavors now. I can definitely tell you I don't have a super taste because I can eat just about anything. Maybe try something harder to guess?

Two separate issues here: (1) Is mom really a bad cook? (2) Can daughter taste the difference in jellybeans? OP - That was a really bad idea to try to link if you are a bad cook or not to if your daughter can tell the difference in jellybeans. Different jellybeans have intentionally distinctive tastes. And are you sure your daughter was not peeking? It’s way too late now to redo the test, of course. Your test put a lot on your daughter to pass the test one way or another. And by the way, children’s senses are generally more acute than an adult and that includes the senses of taste and smell. OP - Has anyone else in the family complained about your cooking? And is it everything or just a few specific foods your daughter does not like? The answers to these questions could be illuminating. If it’s only a few specific foods that are a problem then why not avoid them and do something else or offer a different choice? Not everyone likes the same things. Some battles are worth fighting, some are not. Please try finding a compromise.

Maybe you ought to go to culinary school then do advanced studies at Chipotle, McDonald’s or Jersey Mike’s.

Somewhere out there, in a kitchen far far away, Chef Boyardee is laughing with Pillsbury Doughboy.

bobsanction 18

I know kids lie, but clearly she wasn't, and YDI for not listening to her.