By Anonymous - 29/05/2016 05:05 - Canada - Calgary

Today, my boss wrote me up for saying "pissed" in front of a client. This is the same boss who nearly pissed himself laughing when a client made an extremely off-color Holocaust joke a few weeks ago, in front of half the department. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 223
You deserved it 1 515

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AviKerensky 17

Some people just have no class. Sorry, OP.

Comments

Wow I feel bad for you. Just don't swear by him

AviKerensky 17

Some people just have no class. Sorry, OP.

Were you telling that exact story when using the term?

The client made the joke... Not your boss... Always be professional in the workplace

hannah_dl 11

Maybe it's just me, but what the boss did is easily 100 times more unprofessional and disgusting, regardless of who said what.

Definitely stupid to write up the OP, especially without some kind of verbal warning, and if the client didn't complain. But there is a difference between a client making a joke, and an employee, so you always need to know your workplace standards. For all we know the boss faked laughed at the joke, but the company really needs the business. It just sucks and you move on.

Laughing at a racial joke as boss of a business is highly unprofessional #8, regardless of who said the joke. People get offended and when they see the owner or manager or boss laughing at such a thing, then that hurts business because who would go to a business that thinks the Holocaust was funny? You might want to rethink professionalism #8.

I get that people get offended, but finding Holocaust jokes funny does not mean you find the Holocaust funny. Just the joke itself.

You don't know how jokes work, do you, 41.

What happens when you get written up on a job?

a write up is a tangible warning. normally if you get three, you are fired.

Depends on the employer, but it's usually some kind of punishment. Written up is a written and usually verbal warning, where your boss scolds and talks to you about what you did wrong, and there can be some kind of penalty that goes along with it. If you get enough, you can eventually get fired for it. My work has a 3 strike rule, 1st is just a written note, 2nd you're closely monitored and you have to do something to make up for the offence, 3rd you're terminated.

that doesn't mean you should cuss in front of completely different client. ydi

"Pissed" might be a little crass, but is it really a cuss word?

19990231 29

Although I agree it is not a cuss word, it is still unprofessional in front of a client.

kingdomgirl94 29

If you'd be pissed at your five year old for saying it, you probably shouldn't say it to a client.

Personally, I'm offended that you said pissed in this FML.

Do you need a safe space because words hurt too?

Erm, I don't mean to be rude but I do believe that this man was trying to make a joke.