Yeah, Mike

By considering murder - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States - Huntington Beach

Today, I finally put the finishing touches to a huge project after 8 months of gruelling work. My boss had used the promise of a 5-figure bonus to motivate me. When I casually brought the bonus up later in the day, my boss just said, "Gratitude's its own reward, Mike." FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 700
You deserved it 1 891

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Report that. You were lied to for 8 months

Im sure thats not right?? Id go to HR and see if they can do anything

Comments

BaDumTsss_fml 23

is murder legal in this situation? just wondering...

RedCronos 17

Yeah, basically, **** that. Your boss is a weasel. Hopefully, something was presented in writing; that way, you can snag him on that should you present it to HR (and you totally should).

Everyone is kind of assuming a big company with an HR department. IME this kind of stuff goes on more often at small partnerships where there's a boss guy and 3 employees. Anyway, think the OP is onto a loser here, even if the boss just claims he said there "could be" a bonus, that's not "will be"

Considering the OP was promised a 5 figure bonus, I'm pretty sure this isn't a 3-5 employee operation...

Mathalamus 24

i would have let it slide. because he has a point. i wouldn't really need 50,000 dollars anyway. id just spend it all on useless shit, especially if my financial situation was already stable. frankly, i would consider myself lucky to have 8 months worth of work to keep me busy. a bored mind is lethal.

I'm really not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic or not. I hope it is, because it would be quite stupid otherwise.

Given how long it is #20, and how it's separated into appropriate paragraphs, if it is sarcasm, it's shitty poorly thought out sarcasm.

Mathalamus 24

not really. i just dont care enough. resisting such things is expensive and, in many cases, useless. so why not just go with it? much better in the long run. even for me. i mean, i would obviously be angry, but with myself, for being fooled by the boss in the first place. this assumes the project is *optional*, after all.

By not giving your employees money that you promised them, you're not "fooling" them; you're just not doing your damn job. Also, I'm amazed that you think it matters at all that /you'd/ have no use for the money the /OP/ was promised. So what? A minimum of ten thousand dollars (not necessarily 50,000, like you said. Just because "five figure" contains the word "five" doesn't mean it /must/ have that number) can buy a lot: education, medical treatment, equipment, housing repairs—and all that increases it the OP has family. If cannot think of a useful way to spend a five figure bonus, that says more about you than the bonus.

If you can't figure out something to do with at least a 10k bonus, you should probably get your iq tested, as you may learn you have a new disability.

Are you sure he didn't keep the bonus for himself?

I love how supportive the FML community is.