Wrong sort of doctoring

By Rude, but right - 10/08/2022 09:00 - United States - Steele

Today, my dad went to the doctor to find out if he is autistic. When we walked in, the doctor asked why he wasn't testing if he was diabetic, effectively calling my dad fat. My dad was deeply offended, so I gave that jackass doctor an earful. But as it turns out, he was correct. My dad does have diabetes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 269
You deserved it 1 361

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Remember, unless you're a doctor yourself, a doctor most likely understands health more than you do, mister. I know...who would have thought 🤯

Why would he get mad if a doctor "effectively" called him fat? Everybody knows. It's not like you need advanced medical training to diagnose obesity.

Comments

Ok, but you and your dad weren't there for Diabetes in the first place, so the Doctor was kinda out of line for that being the first thing to come out of his mouth.

But trained professionals have to cover all bases. Considering diabetes will kill you if untreated, or results in amputation of limbs. I'd rather have doctors treating/testing for everything they might be suspecting rather than wait till patient presents with concerns. If more doctors would be encouraged to speak out honestly about patient's health and risks they are, more people could be diagnosed with life debilitating illnesses way before. Especially considering most people will steer away from doctors because they are embarrassed, don't trust them, believe they know best. Remember as a patient if you're not happy you can get a second opinion, even third. But when you get three same answers and you're looking for fourth, you're just seeking out someone who believes and agrees with you. Then when if comes out first three were correct you sue them for not taking any action. If you're not trusting your doctor, change them, multiple times, but if you don't believe into their knowledge and expertise, please free up space for other people who really do need medical knowledge. And yes ALL diagnosis are bad regardless of illness every person feels threat to their life if they get a diagnosis other than all clear. So its normal to react defensively, but adults should be able.to verbalise their concerns, worries, and ask questions if they don't understand.

Remember, unless you're a doctor yourself, a doctor most likely understands health more than you do, mister. I know...who would have thought 🤯

Why would he get mad if a doctor "effectively" called him fat? Everybody knows. It's not like you need advanced medical training to diagnose obesity.

Well, good thing he didn't sugarcoat it then, would've been bad for your dad.

So... let's see if I got the conversation right. "-Doctor, I think I am autistic. - Tell me why? - (describes symptoms) - It sounds more like you're diabetic. Have you thought about being tested for diabetes? - Are you calling my dad fat???"