We need to talk…

By Anonymous - 11/06/2014 21:38 - Australia - Granville

Today, I took a look at my 9-year-old daughter's diary, thinking it would be full of cute stuff. Instead, it was full of hateful rants against me and my husband, as well the boys at her school, who she called gay because none of them ever hit on her. It seems I've failed as a parent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 591
You deserved it 20 753

Same thing different taste

Top comments

whiskeey 14

Yes OP you have failed as a parent for reading your 9 year old child's diary.

the first thing that came to mind was the movie "orphan" ....

Comments

If u have to read her diary how is it a surprise you've failed as a parent?

tessybear19 8

I haven't stopped laughing since i read this. At least on the bright side, she's only 9 so you still have time to set her straight!

Yes but usually at the teenage years they hate you. You may need to ask her why she is so filled with hate and try to improve or correct it

I found it interesting that so many people said "Don't go through her stuff, don't look in her diary" but then - if these anger issues had have escalated into her hurting someone - pretty much every person would have told the OP she was a horrible parent for NOT monitoring her daughter's belongings and checking in on her diary.

Axel5238 29

Too be fare this site has a mix of age ranges, but it is easy to tell the age range it attracts. It's usually my crush doesn't notice me, I pooped/period my pants, dated my friends sibling(not like that would be a bad idea) or I did drugs/drank and something bad happened as a result and I shouldn't be blamed sort of stuff.

Judt because she wrote it in her private diary, it does not mean she means every word. If you encourage her to do sport that might channel some of her anger. And talk to her instead of spying in her! You don't seem to know her much

When I was a child, my mother read my diary aloud for the whole family. A few years later, she went through my private papers, my drawers, my room, everything. Result? I do not trust that woman with any of my personal choices or thoughts, we do not have deep conversations and I do not share my life with her. She missed all big turning points in my life, and we have zero closeness. I do not trust her. Children need their privacy! Do you want to end up like that with your own child? I do not have children, yet, but I will be very sure to respect their privacy. I want to build up a trustful relationship, I do not want to have my kids come home scared if their stuff has been gone through when they were away. Shame on you!

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with trying to build a trusting relationship with your child, but your child simply will not tell you everything. So, sometimes something like this is necessary, like in op's case. The biggest challenge however is, is trying to find a healthy balance between the two areas.

Failed not you should she is raised in good environment. She hasn't had bad relationships that u weren't aware of. Her negativity can be improved over time

Merylwen 24

Wow. I can't even imagine what she'll be like when she is a teenager.

When I was young I kept a fake diary and a real one. The real one was in a notebook with my school stuff, the fake a 'diary' under my mattress. I made sure the fake was full of stuff that would freak people out and let me know they violated my privacy. Never came up, but I felt clever for doing it.

Your first failure was reading her diary. Is it such a bad way to express her anger?

My oldest daughter is 5. Every night when we put her to bed we ask "what was the best thing about today?" and "Did anything make you sad today?". We're teaching our children from a young age to share the ups and downs daily so it becomes a habit to talk about what's bothering them. I'm not sure what I'll do when/if any of my children start keeping a diary or journal. Hopefully they'll feel comfortable talking about stuff so there will be no need to pry.

Children won't share everything that's bothering them. That's common sense. If they want to keep stuff to themselves in a journal, let them.

It's great that you're teaching your kids to communicate with you but realize that when children get older they don't want to share everything with you and will have their own secrets