Toxic masculinity

By Anonymous - 21/04/2022 18:00

Today, my great-grandfather had his arm blown off in the army and used the splintered bone to stab an enemy soldier, and got a goddamn medal for it, and yet I just watched my grown-ass son squealing like a bitch for over 10 minutes because he got a splinter in his toe. How far we’ve fallen. FML
I agree, your life sucks 467
You deserved it 1 023

Same thing different taste

Top comments

slhiggx 17

You cannot compare what your ggranddad did compared to your child. Do you want that level of pain and suffering from your child to be proud of them? If your son has a pleasant life, void of suffering. Isn’t that exactly what your ggdad fought for? Reevaluate how you look at your son.

Your ignorance actually shows more about "how far we've fallen" but luckily generations move forward so you'll be irrelevant soon. Your singular anecdote about how your son deals with pain differently than your father - who would have been running on adrenalin and government issued drugs lol - means absolutely nothing. Using your veteran father - who fought for your son to be able to not have to stab someone with an arm stump - is gross. You're gross.

Comments

Your ignorance actually shows more about "how far we've fallen" but luckily generations move forward so you'll be irrelevant soon. Your singular anecdote about how your son deals with pain differently than your father - who would have been running on adrenalin and government issued drugs lol - means absolutely nothing. Using your veteran father - who fought for your son to be able to not have to stab someone with an arm stump - is gross. You're gross.

slhiggx 17

You cannot compare what your ggranddad did compared to your child. Do you want that level of pain and suffering from your child to be proud of them? If your son has a pleasant life, void of suffering. Isn’t that exactly what your ggdad fought for? Reevaluate how you look at your son.

meglegpirate 13

how are you gonna talk about someone YOU raised- like that?

Be careful! Once he gets that splinter out, he'll probably stab you with it.

I’m pretty sure your granddad would’ve loved the fact that his work led to a splinter being the worst thing to happen to his great-grandkid. Leave the toxic masculinity at the door, dude.

People respond to pain differently. Part of it is probably a matter of conditioning and part of it is individual differences. Once upon a time boys were taught (conditioned) not to show pain and not to admit to fear. There were good things and bad things about that. Today the majority of lives in the more prosperous nations are much more removed from physical pain and intense labor. It was your job to teach your son relevant values. So in a way you are at least partially a factor in your son’s response. At this point in yours and your son’s life you might try to emphasize what you expect, but you probably do not have the ability to charge either you or your son very much. Learn to value the good things you like about your son. He doesn’t live in his multi-great grandfather’s time. And he didn’t grow up when you did. Chances are some day or even now you will be asking him for tech support and he will be rolling his eyes at the things you don’t understand about modern technology… There are at least two sides to the macho, macho man mythology - Sometimes in life you do need to get through pain while still functioning. But the same mythology can also result in “toxic masculinity” that abuses its physical power and is unable or unwilling to share feelings.

never heard of telling a lie? because yeah right lmao

i broke my back, arm, and pelvic snowboarding. Shot a framing nail through my hand with a nail gun. Had my chest flayed open and sewn back together. Served in the military. And I can confidently say: ******* splinters HURT!!

You might consider growing a pair and treating your son like you actually love him unconditionally, you know. It's the latest fad to have a full set of (metaphorical) testicles.

Amen to this! It takes cajones to love one's kid unconditionally. Forget what the world says and do what's right.