By tdawgg - 06/09/2013 14:12 - Canada - Calgary

Today, while working at Home Depot, I was asked to cut some wire. When I asked her how much, she said, "From my computer to the wall". After explaining for a while that I didn't know how far that is, she left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 936
You deserved it 3 417

tdawgg tells us more.

We sell electrical wire by the foot, she may have a more handy family member at home that need it, but she did come back an hour later and got 50 feet... I think her computers in the middle of her backyard. :P. sad thing is, we deal with these kinds of requests ever day... Retail sucks!!

Top comments

Idiots are multiplying faster than Justin Bieber fans

helpfulwhale 12

Working in retail is one of the fastest ways to lose faith in society.

Comments

BradTheBrony 19

Dear lord it's only 2 mm off for me.

Well in the wonderful world of retail , occasionally you have to work with the public! I know it's so difficult to do, but asking the lady to call whomever is at home doing the project for a measurement wouldn't kill you. I work retail as well, if this is the worst story you have, you have lucked out!

jw0168 6

Oh Home Depot crazy customers. I had to deal with them too many times when I worked there.

At least she won't be too short in the connection.

YeahYeahYeahOK 6

I hope you reminded her to flush the wire out of any potentially harmful residual data in the wire before she uses it. Just to be on the safe side... One can never be too careful.

Ok , reality people. Sometimes a person is sent by their spouse to shop for home improvement items. The lady was told to go and get this kind of wire. So she went to store, probably expecting to get a pre packaged roll, not have to know how many feet she needed precisely. Instead of making her go all the way home, suggest calling husband to verify amount of wire . Being considerate doesn't cost you anything but patience.

The OP says they explained "for a while" that they needed an actual measurement. Shouldn't there.gr some responsibility on the pay of the customer to go "You know what, I'm going to call the person who sent me so I know how much to get"

dragonswingfaeri 4

okay, I know this concept is going to come as shock to people, but did you know that there are people that don't have cell phones or do not take them everywhere? I know a few that only have a landline & a couple that have them but somehow managed to leave the phone at home or the battery is dead or they forget too turn it on. if the woman didn't HAVE a phone (whether just not on her or no phone at all), she would have had to go back home to get measurements since she had no way of calling.

She could've made an educated guess. "Well, the wall is here..." walk a few steps "...and the computer is here." I'm very bad a judging distances myself and if I wasn't smart enough to find out how much I needed before I left the house, that would be the next logical option. At least to me...

justlikeme79 9

Home Depot doesn't have phones? Gee whiz!

Getting 50 feet isn't unreasonable either. She may have decided that they want to run Cat 5 cable through a couple of different rooms while they were at it, or run cabling up through the ceiling so it doesn't show.