By [...] - 12/12/2013 14:28 - France - Vaulx-en-velin

Today, while waiting in the queue at a supermarket checkout, my three-year-old daughter yells out, "Mom! Mom! Is that a man or a lady in front?" Embarrassed, I reply, "Honey, can't you see that it's a... it's a... a..." FML
I agree, your life sucks 440
You deserved it 72

Top comments

The lack of a gender icon just makes this FML better.

Comments

My son did the same thing on a crowded bus, started yelling "what is that mummy, what is that" I still don't know if it was a man or woman! Gotta love um lol

Instead of having a kids say the darndest things attitude about it, you wanna teach them why that's wrong.

Jesus we're talking about little kids! They question everything and yes sometimes they don't have the greatest timing. You'll find most people have a sense of humour about it. I've been asked multiple times by children why I have big boobies lol

as Steven Tyler says dude looks like a lady

That's when you say"you nevermind" or "never you mind sweetie". Or offer a piece of candy as a distraction.

Or you know simply teach them that such questions may be hurtful to an individual. It was a child asking they don't understand that their words can be hurtful. That's a parents job to teach them, I think how op responded was actually kind of rude there are much better ways of handling such situations.

Sometimes kids catch you off guard with those kinds of questions and you can't always think of the most politically correct way if handling it. Sometimes the lessons have to be taught after the fact when you have had a chance to absorb what just happened. Most parents are embarrassed when their kids do this, and most people don't think, they just react when they are embarrassed.

DavidKnows 11

Parents should be armed w a few general responses , like "why are you asking, honey?" or " it's impolite to talk about others" etc. This buys you time to formulate an appropriate answer, to whatever situation presents itself.

Might have nothing to do with transgender people at all. For example, this one lady I helped when her car broke down had a rather magnificent mustache...

I love kids! They have no filter and call it exactly how they see it. I get to experience it daily and makes life enjoyable.

wildflawas 6

its a... its a... hermaphrodite. lol

Maybe you should just tell you kid it doesn't actually matter what they are. They are a stranger and their gender is kind of irrelevant...

yeah i mean the person looking like a mutant probably am aware of it her/he'self