By ohtheirony - 10/12/2015 19:49 - United States - Reno

Today, while trying to explain to my friends what an anxiety attack is like, I had an anxiety attack. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 039
You deserved it 2 155

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wizardo 33

I would now like to explain what irony attacks are.

Comments

Just keep taking deep breaths and it will pass. They always do.

I mean it kinda works like that... sorta. They do eventually pass and the fastest way is to breathe deeply. Though that's really difficult to do seeing as you're hyperventilating and irrationally afraid you won't be able to breathe if you stop. I do find that it helps if you fully understand that you can not die during one. That small piece of logic is incredibly useful to a chaotic disoriented brain.

Rawrshi 25

While it isn't likely, you can actually die from an anxiety attack so should always take them seriously. They can trigger cardiac arrest in certain people. Or you could pass out and fall or otherwise injure yourself fatally. That's why it's always important to not try to drive or do anything dangerous while having an attack or when it may trigger one. I've had to pull over many times and end up panicking in a parking lot because driving is extremely overstimulating for me. It is not a fun disorder to have. :/

the thing is, when I have anxiety attacks I uncontrollably take quick short breaths and taking deep ones are impossible

Hang in there. Teach your friends how to help you in case this sort of thing happens again around them.

Wizardo 33

I would now like to explain what irony attacks are.

nothing better than a live demonstration.

A07 48

You're a 'hands on' kind of teacher, aren't you?

Been there OP! Hope your friends can learn to understand it, accept it and learn your triggers or ways they can help you. Hang in there and good luck!

leogachi 15

@7 I agree, if Op is willing to help themselves (which sounds like they are since they're trying to help their friends understand). My friend refuses to do anything about controlling his anxiety, so I won't do anything to help. You can't put the burden on everyone else.

Talk to a mental health professional. There are behavioral interventions out there that can be really helpful (and medications if that is something you decide to try).

lexiieeex3 32

Sometimes the very thing that gives you anxiety is knowing you have anxiety, I'm sorry OP. Hopefully your friends understood.

danceinconverse 25

I always get super anxious when talking with my therapist, trying to fix my anxiety. The struggle is real.

pins91 27

Yup. Happens to Me too. Hate it.