By Anonymous - 06/10/2018 15:30

Today, we woke up to two inches of water in our finished basement, which my wife and I use it as our bedroom. The plumber found roots in our sewer line. The kicker: we just bought the house four days ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 702
You deserved it 252

Same thing different taste

Top comments

xxWTFxx1981 23

I would talk to lawyer who brokered deal I am pretty sure by law you can make seller pay for repair. they had to know about problem prior to sale.

bobsanction 18

Should have got a home inspection.

Comments

xxWTFxx1981 23

I would talk to lawyer who brokered deal I am pretty sure by law you can make seller pay for repair. they had to know about problem prior to sale.

Not necessarily. Plus, it's the buyers responsibility to do an inspection before the closing. Unless they deliberately misled, lied, or otherwise engaged in some kind of fraud, the buyer is probably screwed. that's what home inspections are supposed to find. That said, crap always goes wrong whenever a house is sold. We had to replace the furnace, water heater and AC unit the first year we moved in. :)

You’re bank didn’t require a septic inspection before purchase??

Was your inspector rooting for the sellers to stick it to you and palm off their defective house on you?

bluhbluhbluh 14

woah! you have an indoor swimming pool too?

bobsanction 18

Should have got a home inspection.

Home inspections where I live usually don’t cover that. When my wife and I bought our house we had to hire a plumber ourselves to come out and inspect the sewer lines during the due diligence period.

Most banks require that the title company give a ONE year warranty on the main components of the house: plumbing, frame, electric, etc. regardless of age of structure. Sometimes the bank also requires an independent inspection by a certified company. They carry liability insurance for the same reasons. Now if you paid in full in cash at closing time (like on those “flip-homes” or restoration homes) and didn’t hire an inspector then you’ll need a ‘really good’ real estate lawyer.

marcy_89 8

Same thing happened to us in a house we were gonna rent. Our stuff was there but we hadn’t moved in yet.

volunteer 8

wow. that's awful. it's really FML.

volunteer 8

There's need to talk with your brokered . Them had to tell you that all before buying it. I think them knew it all already just don't tell you.

Sue the inspector. They should have found that