By LolAtMyPosts - 15/09/2013 18:04 - Canada - Halifax

Today, one of my online friends told me he's bought a plane ticket, so he can come visit me. I've told him multiple times before that I'm uncomfortable with this idea, but he keeps telling me to stop joking, and reminding me that he'll have no other place to stay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 085
You deserved it 8 658

LolAtMyPosts tells us more.

LolAtMyPosts 10

For those who care, no, I didn't give him my address, I'm not an idiot. He just knows the city I live in, because I'm sure I've mentioned it during a group chat. He and I are NOT in a relationship in any way, shape, or form. I barely know him. He's had this weird obsession with me for a while. We talk about once every other day, and have two types of conversations. The most common is: 'Hi, how are you? Good? Glad to hear you're good. Have a nice day.' And that's it. The less common and more creepy is him asking: 'Can I buy you stuff? Can I have your address so I can send you stuff? Do you like jewelry? I'm going to come visit you ;)' He doesn't know my real name, nor do I know his. He doesn't know what I look like, only what I sound like on a mic. We only know each other through our gaming community, and nothing more. :/ I have broken all ties with him, and deleted him off my friends' list (because that's the ONLY way he could contact me). Dude needs to grow up and get his head checked.

Top comments

Did you give them your address? If yes, YDI. If no, FML. I don't like giving out too much personal info to people online. There's a good chance they're not really who they say they are.

Looks like he'll be on the streets for a while

Comments

If he shows up, call the cops. Stalking is stalking. If you gave him your address for the purpose of sending letters that's one thing. If you did NOT give him your address and he shows up that is creepy as **** and deserves a restraining order.

Back in the beginning days of online services there was one for Commodore 64s owned my AOL. It automatically put your city and state in your profile. I was naive and used my first name middle and last initials as a username. I got a "wrong number" one night. I later logged on and was told that I had a nice voice. This freaked me out. The guy was in a popular band but had been in Naval Intelligence at one point. He found me with my first name and initials! He used a reverse phone book and narrowed it down. He also had my address. Luckily he agreed to leave me alone and did. People have to really think about ANY info they give out. Luckily, with most people only having cell phones and no land lines it's not as easy. I hope all works out for you and be careful. PS. Whenever I hear that guy's song on the radio I have to change it and it was a good song!

Yeah, that's not a 'friend' that's a stalker. And a potentially dangerous one. Take a look at the local laws about stalking/harassment and maybe head down to the local police station and talk with an officer about it, asking about what you can do to keep yourself safe if he does show up.

If he is making you uncomfortable then he isn't really your "friend" and people can pretend to be anyone on the internet. He might be a murderer or something. I would stop talking to him and tell him that you have informed the police. It should get him to stop talking to you.

Listen, he's stalking you. If he says he got a plane ticket to go visit you, you should run. It doesn't take much to find an address on the Internet, if he is a good hacker, he could of hacked the game and found your address! If you have a copy of everything he said to you on paper, I recommend you head to the police to get this guy arrested as soon as he arrives.

Are you really from Florida instead of where you said you were from. This sounds like what my friend is doing to this girl in Florida...I told him to stop...and so forth and she just suddenly broke all ties to him. Good for her...but still...creepy.

I think you deserved this one. One of the fundamentals of the internet is you NEVER tell anyone where you live or any personal information.

distance yourself from him. don't talk every day.