This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Anonymous - 09/09/2018 15:00

Today, the employees of my store went on strike, demanding a "living wage" of $15 an hour and accused me of being a "leech on the work force". My profit margins are so thin that I pay myself around $20 a day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 020
You deserved it 595

Top comments

Small businesses can't afford a living wage it will put them out of business only corporations can afford that but are to greedy in most instances and the biggest reason small businesses can't afford a living wage is because they pay more in federal, state and city taxes because they aren't exempt from taxes like corporations are, I've known several friends and family who all were literally taxed out of business, we all want better wages but until taxes are reduced for small businesses they aren't going to be able to raise their wages 🤔☺️

I guess it's time to let some employees go...

Comments

I think what OP is complaining about is that 15$ an hour is a "living wage" for them. I don't know about the US, but where I come from, 15$ an hour (or its equivalent) would be luxury wage. I survive quite easily on about 11.50$ an hour.

alienblair 4

If you can't pay your employees a proper wage then you don't deserve to be in business.

All of you complaining about how he runs his business, I’d like to see you do better. Would you rather he give his employees a wage of Zero? As in unemployed?

OP, I find it hard to understand exactly how you live on $20 a day as you claim unless you have free living arrangements and transportation. That makes the rest of the story a bit suspicious to me. Short version: if things are as you claim, then your business is failing. Scale back until it can survive.

I had a small business (hobby store) and didn’t pay myself at all. We had to live on my husbands income but couldn’t hold out longer than 4 years. Here’s why it failed: * The margins on the products were very low. The more expensive the item, the less profit. * Electricity was high (California) * Taxes were high (California) * Rent was high (California) * Pay for internet * Pay for water. Now you’re thinking, that shouldn’t be much. Oh but it is. See, the Landlord takes the total cost of the bill and makes the renters pay by the square foot of their space. And guess who had the largest space? ME! * Pay to have credit card machines. Each transaction I had to pay a fee to Merchant Services. * Stealing was rampant. My insurance deductible was so high that every window broken or product that was stolen wasn’t covered. * Minimum wage went up so I had to let people go. * My landlord (SaveMart Supermarkets) wanted to repave their parking lot (it was located at the far end of the strip mall). So we, the renters, had to pay for it (per our square foot). My portion of the bill was $10,000. The parking lot was no where near my store! * 2009 economy down turn. All my wonderful blue collar workers lost their jobs. No more customers. Will I ever be a small business owner again? NO WAY! I had to let go 7 employees who depended on that paycheck. I lost my retirement. But I guess I gained a whole new out look on how the economy works.

AccessUnknownModerator 4

Op all these people are stupid and dont get business and how big chains lime walmart want higher wages because it would put all small businesses out of business. Most owners don't cut themselves a salary until 3 to 5 years after starting a business. fire them and hire some hard working people.

Please, Walmart fights minimum wage like nothing else. They have classes teaching their employees how to apply for welfare so that they can pay sub-living wages on part time jobs with no benefits and still have employees capable of stumbling in every day. Walmart's entire profitability depends upon being able to pay non living wages and mooch off the government. Not that Walmart doesn't get a better deal with mooching off the government than small businesses do but giant corporations hate living wages because then they won't be able to funnel money upwards. Minimum wage increases are one of the few ways that the lower class can pull some of that money back down, where they worked to create it.

Actually Walmart now has a minimum hiring wage of 10 dollars, going up to 11 after you graduate the training. That's right, the minimum wage is now so low that even Walmart thinks it's too low.

If you can’t afford to pay your employees a living wage then you can’t afford to own a business.

moonmoon 5

That is a living wage. Can’t pay it, don’t run a business. 💁🏼‍♂️